Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Blacksmithing........

jazzman58

Got into this about 8 months ago. Since then I have built 3 forges, 2 of them coal/charcoal and one that runs on propane. The picture is a leaf I made that started out as a piece of 1/2" square steel. I have made a number of tools and decortive items. Like metal detecting this can become an all consuming hobby. I think I may have found a use for all of those rusty bits of junk steel that I seem to be so well at finding.

Very cool jazzman... well acually there's nothing cool about blacksmithing- it's downright hot as heck.lol..... thats quite a lost art you are learning. .... my dad tinkered with it somewhat or at least rubbed elbows with folks who do... some 35 years ago or so when i was a teen i stumbled upon a large scrap metal pile in the woods which i later found out was remnants of tools used in a local mining town...omg the stuff i pulled out of there. 2 cone anvils, one regular anvil, hardies and swages of all kinda shapes, hammer heads ect ect.. sold most of the stuff long ago... i imagine some of the old iron we find is probably good quality. ... i look forward to seeing your future craftsmanship. ....

Very interesting indeed! Its neat to read the History of Blacksmithing..John Deere was a well known smith...how there were nearly 50k smithys registered at one time in the US when every little town had one or two and horses were the mode of transportation...since 1975 'wrought iron' is considered an extinct metal,....theres a decent trade organization for 'ornamental iron' guys called NOMMA, they are modern day smiths so to speak,

.....I went to their trade show once a few years ago, had a great time and learned a lot...I'm sure theres an ultra traditional Smith organization or two out there...thats a skill that should keep you consumed for quite a while as you attempt to understand iron...you should make some knives, damascus...I bet theres a website you can cruise to see some great smith knives or swords...big money if you get a name built...give us some more pictures when you can, really great skill you have there..:clapping:
Mud

Mud, Booty....sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one. My 16 year old son is truley the master on this hobby. He can make all kinds of neat looking knifes out of railroad spikes, makes hearts out of store bought horeshoes, and has even made a couple of swords out of old vehicle leaf springs. I dabble at this a bit and can make a few things but he has taken it to the next level......I tend to do this in winter when the ground is frozen and I can not detect, my son is out there year round.........

Jeff

There was a Gentleman in Charleston SC by the name of Phillip Simmons that was a Master Blacksmith. He designed and built wrought iron gates. His work was highly sought ofter and is in use at a number of the old Charleston homes. His work was truly a work of Art.

As a youngster my Grandfather had a forge that he used to make parts for his machinery and to size horse shoes that he used on his draft horses.

Smithing is truly an art form.