Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Book Recommendations for Beginners

mortarman

I wanted to know if there are a few books or maybe one particular book that you veterens can recommend? I'm pretty new to the hobby, just ordered a Tesoro Valquero and I want to learn all I can. I am planning on joining my local club also. I'm interested in a general intro/how to type of book. Any help is welcome. Thanks!

Have to agree with Scuba....I have never come across a book that provides as good/better general info than a forum of experienced users. Learn how to use the Search/Advanced Search function of this website.........then you will learn at an accelerated pace.......save your money for good quality detecting equipment instead of generic detecting books. On the other hand, if a detector book exists on your particular detector, then it might be worthwhile to purchase it. But I would look at reviews of it before plunking down the cash.

Good Luck & Success

Hi Mortarman, you probably already know that there are numerous types of hunting with metal detectors. Is there a specific type of hunting your interested in? Zip Zip is a well received electronic prospecting book, Relics? If you have access to a public library, get the library card and search for Charles Garrett, His "Modern Metal Detectors" book is geared toward his brand of detectors, it has basic material that apply to all detectors. Library searches Garrett, Jimmy Sierra, Metal Detector,...
My local library had a couple of different books on metal detecting, you might want to check your librarys video selection as well.
Cruise the different manufacturers web sites, as they all have a newletter of sorts. And this forum has alot of experienced users and user traffic.

I too have a Tesoro Vaquero, if you can get the 5.75 coil in addition to the stock 8x9, you will have a great setup.

Good Luck,
Square Nail

Thanks. I realize this site and another I frequent are a wonderful source of info. But sometimes being new, a person doesn't know enough to know what questions to ask or to search for. A really good beginner book that has an overall general outline of the hobby is invaluble to start a person out right.
I'm the type of person that enjoys learning and doing research on my own and then if I get stuck or cannot find the info, I'll ask questions. There is so much info here it would take months to just find something specific. And I know everyone here is more than willing to help.
Besides, you guys can't tell me when you were all starting out, when there wasn't an internet, there wasn't a book or two that taught you the basics. The internet and forums in general are a miracle of modern man but when you loose power for up to two weeks like some of us here on the east coast because of Irene, it's nice to have something to read. :unsure:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Detecting-Improve-Metal-Technique/dp/1897738250/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316183564&sr=1-1

although it says advanced its a good intro

[attachment 210008 600-0214-bbookcover.jpg] Go to White's Website to order, or contact your local White's dealer.

http://whiteselectronics.com/products/accessories/books.html

Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination by Robert Brockett

All the other books are good reads but you need to start out with this one first.

HH
Mike

That's what I'm talkin bout!!:clapping: Thanks guys!!

You need to air test :detecting:different targets like a nickel and adjust your discriminator to were it just knocks it out and bring it back just a touch so you can hear it, and mark it on the faceplate, and do the same thing with a ring average size , zinc penny and so on, it will help you a lot. Hank

"Handbook for Detectorists" by Gert Gesink is rather good and covers just about everything but might be somewhat geared towards Europeans (fair warning).