Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Boring time on the OR Coast

Ronstar

Brought the Legend to the OR coast (Waldport) and so far its been a bust. I have little to no experience with beach hunting so I’m learning from those who are here. First day out was trying to learn the Md vs Mw settings. Dry was a bit chatty and the manual says if ground balance is above 2 to use Wet so I tried that. Everything went dead silent…….
I swung for about 30 minutes in areas around campfire pits, logs where people sit, trails that enter/exit the sandy beaches and not so much as a beep. I was really thinking something wasnt working right. So began minor changes to see what happens. Recovery at 7, Thresh at 3, Sens at 28, everything else default. Now c’mon guys, fire rings etc and not even a bottle cap????
Finally got a 40-41 and dug like a preschooler trying to impress a girl on the first day of school, melted aluminum chunk. Hey, at least detector was working, right? A bit later I slammed a solid and clear 44 at four bars deep. Now, this could be a smashed can……maybe…
Started to push sand scoop in while dreaming of a big ol mans class ring or the likes….. scoop goes maybe 2” and something hard defected the scoop. WOOD????! Yup, I have a very long driftwood log directly dead center over the target. I cant roll it, lift it, or dig down and under it. Ok, two of us cant do the above either.
Went out again yesterday and three targets, all trash (which I called). I cant even fathom this area being a clean beach, not even. We leave tomorrow so when Mama heads down to sit and read her book I will give it the ol college try but not expecting to post any “todays find”.
Meanwhile enjoying the mid 60s temps…..

Brought the Legend to the OR coast (Waldport) and so far its been a bust. I have little to no experience with beach hunting so I’m learning from those who are here. First day out was trying to learn the Md vs Mw settings. Dry was a bit chatty and the manual says if ground balance is above 2 to use Wet so I tried that. Everything went dead silent…….
I swung for about 30 minutes in areas around campfire pits, logs where people sit, trails that enter/exit the sandy beaches and not so much as a beep. I was really thinking something wasnt working right. So began minor changes to see what happens. Recovery at 7, Thresh at 3, Sens at 28, everything else default. Now c’mon guys, fire rings etc and not even a bottle cap????
Finally got a 40-41 and dug like a preschooler trying to impress a girl on the first day of school, melted aluminum chunk. Hey, at least detector was working, right? A bit later I slammed a solid and clear 44 at four bars deep. Now, this could be a smashed can……maybe…
Started to push sand scoop in while dreaming of a big ol mans class ring or the likes….. scoop goes maybe 2” and something hard defected the scoop. WOOD????! Yup, I have a very long driftwood log directly dead center over the target. I cant roll it, lift it, or dig down and under it. Ok, two of us cant do the above either.
Went out again yesterday and three targets, all trash (which I called). I cant even fathom this area being a clean beach, not even. We leave tomorrow so when Mama heads down to sit and read her book I will give it the ol college try but not expecting to post any “todays find”.
Meanwhile enjoying the mid 60s temps…..
Maybe lower your recovery speed to 4-5.
Try field and parks for depth on dry sand.
At least from what I've read.
I've never done salt water beach before.
Maybe this guy can help.
Love to see ya bring home some shinnys.

And then this guy goes the other way with recovery.
But I feel your loosing depth.
Hopefully you didn't pick a beach like my favorite.
A couple older guys hit at sunrise everyday.
With an Etrac and an nox.
Maybe hit at sunrise. See if there's a couple oll coots sweeping it clean. Good Luck Ron.

Well, the first time I went land hunting I didnt do that well so I realize its a learning curve. Its just we are here once a year so it is what it is……

I am surprised at the lack of finds especially at the beach.
I go to the beach once a year for a few days and have always encountered lots of signals except for one time when there was a bad storm and the beach got sanded in… I could not even find a bottle cap there.
No one else was finding anything either there.
Maybe this is what you are encountering too.
Basically lots of sand gets washed in covering everything up.

Well, the first time I went land hunting I didnt do that well so I realize its a learning curve. Its just we are here once a year so it is what it is……
Try lowering your recovery speed to 1 like that guy shows. Go slow see if Anything is there.
Try the other modes. All metal A, recovery 1 runs the deepest. At least you'll know if it's sanded in.
Though it may false on salt.
I do wish you best of luck.

Wish I could be there with you.
I've only been West of the Mississippi River a couple of times in my life.
Couple times for my son's graduations in the air Force. And last time to bring him home after injuries an forced retirement.
At least we swung by silver City Colorado.. on the way home.
Got some nice telluride gold ore. Loaded with gold.
Detecting the west coast would be sweet.
Again. Good Luck Ron.

Sunday I'm heading out to the WA coast 250 miles north of you for the 6:30am low tide. Mostly for the drive and fun.

West coast vs East coast -

North West OR/WA beaches - A couple weeks ago large sections of this WA beach drive on/parking area I'm going to was sanded in. The sand was heaped up in a mound with any targets buried too deep to reach. A mile south at the other drive on/parking area there was a section that was eroded out. A flat slope, not quite a depression but feet less of sand height. Harder packed sand, lots of iron targets (a good sign). Probably dug 30-40 non iron targets mostly coins, a few melted aluminum bits and 1 gold ring. For the Pacific NW beaches that's pretty good. Our beaches are largely barren of targets due to the cold. That day it was 94 degrees at my house inland, about 80 miles west at the coast it was 65 degrees and the wind was blowing 20mph. Most beach goers were bundled up in jackets. They walked out to the water, took a selfie then ran back to their vehicles. This doesn't produce many lost coins or jewelry I'm afraid.

North East NJ beaches - 3,000 miles east at the southern NJ Shore there are thousands of people on the beach daily during the summer season. They are concentrated into narrow sections between the lifeguard stand boundaries, you can only swim between the cones. Gobs of people in the water playing. Tide swings are 3-5 feet so at low tide you can hunt the wet sand where people were swimming at high tide. You hunt the lifeguard stands to boost your odds of finding something. There's a few targets between the stands but its slimmer pickings typically unless a storm has pulled a bunch of sand off the beach exposing targets lost in the last many years to decades. The best spots are the lifeguard stand areas. Knowing where lifeguard stands were years/decades ago...that are no longer guarded today...that's a pro move when storms pull the sand off. Then there's the "towel line". Typically people put their beach towel down near the high water line or just above it. Towel lines can be 4-5 rows deep during the summer. Lots of stuff spills off towels. Some people put their jewelry on them so they don't lose them in the water...forget...pick up their towel to leave and their stuff vanishes beneath the dry sand. Some hunt that dry sand towel line regularly. I wait for the highest tides and storms to pull all that stuff down onto the wet sand. There are no beachfront homes less than millions of dollars. The first couple of blocks of beach homes are quite expensive. There's a lot of personal wealth along the beach. Most beach homes are 3-4 stories tall, each level a beach condo. They seriously pack in the people during the summer season. It's not unheard of to dig $25k rings there.

Home now, need to go dirt fishing and get my mojo back……

Sunday I'm heading out to the WA coast 250 miles north of you for the 6:30am low tide. Mostly for the drive and fun.

West coast vs East coast -

North West OR/WA beaches - A couple weeks ago large sections of this WA beach drive on/parking area I'm going to was sanded in. The sand was heaped up in a mound with any targets buried too deep to reach. A mile south at the other drive on/parking area there was a section that was eroded out. A flat slope, not quite a depression but feet less of sand height. Harder packed sand, lots of iron targets (a good sign). Probably dug 30-40 non iron targets mostly coins, a few melted aluminum bits and 1 gold ring. For the Pacific NW beaches that's pretty good. Our beaches are largely barren of targets due to the cold. That day it was 94 degrees at my house inland, about 80 miles west at the coast it was 65 degrees and the wind was blowing 20mph. Most beach goers were bundled up in jackets. They walked out to the water, took a selfie then ran back to their vehicles. This doesn't produce many lost coins or jewelry I'm afraid.

North East NJ beaches - 3,000 miles east at the southern NJ Shore there are thousands of people on the beach daily during the summer season. They are concentrated into narrow sections between the lifeguard stand boundaries, you can only swim between the cones. Gobs of people in the water playing. Tide swings are 3-5 feet so at low tide you can hunt the wet sand where people were swimming at high tide. You hunt the lifeguard stands to boost your odds of finding something. There's a few targets between the stands but its slimmer pickings typically unless a storm has pulled a bunch of sand off the beach exposing targets lost in the last many years to decades. The best spots are the lifeguard stand areas. Knowing where lifeguard stands were years/decades ago...that are no longer guarded today...that's a pro move when storms pull the sand off. Then there's the "towel line". Typically people put their beach towel down near the high water line or just above it. Towel lines can be 4-5 rows deep during the summer. Lots of stuff spills off towels. Some people put their jewelry on them so they don't lose them in the water...forget...pick up their towel to leave and their stuff vanishes beneath the dry sand. Some hunt that dry sand towel line regularly. I wait for the highest tides and storms to pull all that stuff down onto the wet sand. There are no beachfront homes less than millions of dollars. The first couple of blocks of beach homes are quite expensive. There's a lot of personal wealth along the beach. Most beach homes are 3-4 stories tall, each level a beach condo. They seriously pack in the people during the summer season. It's not unheard of to dig $25k rings there.
Millionaire beaches and resorts. I'd love to go.
The gold coast would be nice too.

Odanscoils, we are back home last Saturday so never had a chance to try those. I wrote them down for next year!
Thx

Tried this yesterday at the old city park…..
I ended up digging a bunch of folded over pull tabs that I missed earlier (well not that I care but the sounds were way clearer and the numbers 33-34 very repeatable). The odd part was an old square iron nut that hit 46 with one bar ferrous and a big ol tractor lug that slammed 51 and one bar ferrous. Both were 6-7” deep but obviously not coins when dug. No gold but not giving up on this yet.
Also, I found it odd the guy was detecting on a wood porch that had to have had nails interfering with the readings?