Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle Caps, Dealing With Them :surrender:

pacer

Gordon Heritage on "Treasure Talk" makes mention how to deal with "bottle crown caps". By "bottle crown caps" I assume, he means English bottle caps. I can't imagine English bottle caps are all that much different than the bottle caps found here in the USA. In dealing with "bottle crown caps" mention is made to switch to a "User Profile mode" that utilizes a saved mode with a single frequency such as the 10 kHz. So, would it be safe to assume this method would also work with the caps found here in the USA? If so, would it make any difference what your go to program is and/or what the saved mode with the 10 kHz is?

greenmeanie said:
What happened to putting it in all metal and backing off listening for the Grunt?
Was it debunked.

No
Both methods work
to me though AM is quicker and easier :thumbup:

My experience is, the rusty steel ones, that some refer to as "crown caps," can usually be identified with the "grunt" method, and/or by switching to single frequency and watching for the ID numbers increase (from, say, low teens into low to mid 20s). Meanwhile, the aluminum "screw caps" -- especially smashed ones -- will ring up very much like a coin, and there's no real "trick" that I know of to get rid of those.

Steve

Bottle caps=poo!! The steel caps or the multi-metal caps are not to difficult to ID most of the time but like mentioned by sgoss66, those aluminum caps are near impossible to ID. I also have trouble with the beavertail pull tabs. They hit strong and consistent just like a nickel. Push tabs are identifiable most of the time as they sound sketchy.

Yeah me too. I use the All Metal trick mostly though I have the user profile ready for the other trick.

I also notice crown tops have a tendency to jump all over the place around 15 and as low as 12 and up to 17-19. Almost always turns out to be a crown top or another piece of junk. I do beaches so not bad digging them up but anywhere else it would be a pain.

Bottle caps for me are broken high tones. I had one instance where I dug a super solid 26-27 and it was a Merc... 3 inches down. 10 feet away I got a 23,27,25 and some "grunting" as mentioned above. I was hoping for a masked merc but it was an old rusty bottle cap.:rage:

It was nice not digging bottle caps with my Explorer and Etrac. With my non-FBS detectors, most of the time it is faster just to dig them rather than sitting there for minutes on end trying to evaluate what the target IS or IS NOT. Usually they are not extreme deep targets. Usually.

The side benefit is that I just might unmask something beneath the bottle cap.

Rich -