Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle caps figured out....I believe...easy

Ksdirt

Ok....botttle caps can give you a nickel reading or around the 16 reding...."hears what you do ....swich to 5 kHz if it jumps to like around the 30 reading ..IT IS A BOTTLE CAP!! end of story.....try it ...

Today at the beach, I hit a few nickels that did not waiver off 13, but did have jumpy 12-16's on pull tabs. And in dry some were 9"+. Unavoidable for now.

Always Curious --

So far, as far as I can tell, there is ONE type of pulltab that can hit at 13, or a 13-14 bounce, and unfortunately it's a common one in some areas. I THINK it's Coke/Diet Coke, but not sure. In any case, where I hunt there aren't too many of those, most are a tad higher, but I hear you. I would LOVE to have Minelab "spread out" the VDI range. There's room, too...not that much that we are likely to dig rings up in the 30s...so quarters, halves, and dollars could maybe be compressed into the high 30s, instead of spread throughout the whole 30-40 range. That would leave more room for "separation" in the mid ranges...

Anyway, just a thought.

Meanwhile, Ksdirt, on a rusty cap, I have seen the same thing. I hit them around "11," and though there seems to be some audio clues in there (too early for me to tell for sure), switching to 5 kHz and seeing a jump into the mid 20s to 30s is a definitely giveaway that it's rusty steel...

Steve

Its going to be interesting for us beach guys. I can tell you right now ....... a good many either dont dig bottle caps now or when they do..... plop, they drop them right back in the water. Before it wasnt a big deal since we could tell immediately what those shallow caps were. Now guys we have to learn to...... pick um up just like you do tabs if you dig um. Ill have to experiment a bit more since i hunt a lot waist to neck deep on targets....... especially bottle caps. WHEN EVER ML GETS OFF THEIR DUFF AND GETS ME SOME HEADPHONES. Im just not the guy who takes their water machines and only wades, dry sands, or wet sands hunts. I know a good many recent drops are out there much deeper. As far as bottle caps go....... i think most honest beach hunters will tell you ...... we dig the heck out of known targets. Without a doubt we know we are digging a pull tab..... a bottle cap..... can slaw. BUT we dig it just in case our ears and gray matter fooled us. I have to say the CTX has perhaps the BEST TID out there and if you wanted you could easily pass up trash...... but most dont unless they have little time to waste. Bottle cap....... just one more piece of trash we may dig and REMOVE from the water. On the bright side ...... we still arent digging as much as a PI lol.

Steve...... our mutual friend felt like the machine operated around 14 khz. I dont know if you have used a DFX..... but it gets the same wrap around with a lot of sensitivity too and the digits are 100. It runs in 3 or 15 ..... and feels like 15 in multi. It appears to be geared more toward coin hunting.....causing the iron to wrap around. How did most of us fix that...... we disc out the top two digits. The EQ seems to be geared more on the gold end...... that could well be why they disc out the 1 and 2 digits on some of the programs.

Are people really throwing stuff back?

I have found switching over to AM and then when target is getting to the edge of coil it will start giving a grunt tone and neg. numbers. Try it. A good target is clean sounding coming off. Not sure if it would work in the surf.

sgoss66 said:
Always Curious --

So far, as far as I can tell, there is ONE type of pulltab that can hit at 13, or a 13-14 bounce, and unfortunately it's a common one in some areas. I THINK it's Coke/Diet Coke, but not sure. In any case, where I hunt there aren't too many of those, most are a tad higher, but I hear you. I would LOVE to have Minelab "spread out" the VDI range. There's room, too...not that much that we are likely to dig rings up in the 30s...so quarters, halves, and dollars could maybe be compressed into the high 30s, instead of spread throughout the whole 30-40 range. That would leave more room for "separation" in the mid ranges...

Anyway, just a thought.

Meanwhile, Ksdirt, on a rusty cap, I have seen the same thing. I hit them around "11," and though there seems to be some audio clues in there (too early for me to tell for sure), switching to 5 kHz and seeing a jump into the mid 20s to 30s is a definitely giveaway that it's rusty steel...

Steve

Someone has posted that if it comes in at 13 but with occasional drops to 12, it is likely to be a nickel and not a pulltab. I'll have to try that one.

Clad2Hunt said:
I have found switching over to AM and then when target is getting to the edge of coil it will start giving a grunt tone and neg. numbers. Try it. A good target is clean sounding coming off. Not sure if it would work in the surf.

I have found that his works for me as well :)