Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle caps

KindManTall

I really like the ORX / DEUS .. BUT those dang bottle caps tone and VDI being the same as penny, dime and quarter is really hard to deal with in trashy parks... I do not think this is a coil choice or freq selection issue

I sthere a setting or something to help with this issue ?

Coins will normally sound real good and solid even bottlecaps can sound like that but what I do is just lift the coil while swinging and the ID on the bottlecap will usually start falling off. Also if you run the front edge of the coil near the target you will get a iron or broken tone most of the time. The id on good targets usually stays stable.

Try running it in 4Khz. You can also lower your discrimination and get an iron buzz mixed in if its a bottle. Use the front edge of the coils as Bill S suggests or you can raise and lower your coil over the target. I use the 9" x35 coil and it works great. I water hunt but in the winter I use the Deus for coins and relics. I hunt in some really trashy areas loaded with bottle caps. I've only had the machine for 3 years but I've found well over $1000 in clad while searching for old coins and Jewelry. I've found numerous silver rings , pendants , bracelets etc. and several gold rings. Be patient , just takes a little while to learn it. I hope you grow to love it like I have mine. Best of luck.

The problems with bottle caps are they are round like a coin, they are about the same size as a coin and they are made out of metal plus there everywhere.
I've been in areas that are so infested with bottle caps that I simply just give up and try a different spot, I really don't believe there's a good way to tell the difference between bottle caps and coins.

The problems with bottle caps are they are round like a coin, they are about the same size as a coin and they are made out of metal plus there everywhere.
I've been in areas that are so infested with bottle caps that I simply just give up and try a different spot, I really don't believe there's a good way to tell the difference between bottle caps and coins.
They are definitely a challenge and they really slow you down. A friend of mine showed up at my door a few weeks back. He decided to try metal detecting and had bought a new Simplex because of the reviews, build quality and price. Between bottle caps and EMI he was totally frustrated and gave me the machine. It was a bad choice for an inexperienced hunter. He needed a machine with a small concentric to learn with. I ended up selling the machine for him and sent him the money.

While running a HF 9x5 coil I have to lift the coil slightly watch for the number to drop, but those flat bottle caps get me ever time ;(

You can really reduce your caps but it takes some discipline. First remember there are two kinds of caps. Flip top like on Bud lite are steel and ring up really high and also rust. These are easier to eliminate by notching the field from 97-99(do 98-99 if HF coil) This will also prevent iron wrap around. Or you can set your kfz to 8 or 12 for coins and set up a program next door at 4kfz. if you flip it to 4 and the # stay the same or increases you have steel, decreases probably a coin. The other caps are the Al screw ones. Harder because they will ring up just like coins except on 4kz but running on 4 is the noisiest kfz by far. Best technique is to raise coil about 6 inches. If you still get a sound its Al cap. Coins especially deeper ones never rings up this high off the ground. Another tip that works well especially with an 8 inch coil. Swing it east-west across the item. If you can hear the tone across the full EW its a cap or can. A coin will only sound off about two inches on either side of the coil. The only times these tips will not work is if the caps has been crushed so it sinks deeper. Just have to digs these but you should be able to cut them down a lots. Remember a cap will completely mask most coins so sometimes it pays to just mark out a smaller spot clean out the junk and see whats there. I've done this sometimes with good results. Best.

The pull back method works well if you do not discriminate out iron or drop iron volume to zero. Unless the bottle cap is very deep, you will get an iron tone or "scratch" as you come off the cap. Experiment with the disc level to find the point of most reaction. On a coin the tone pretty much stops cleanly. Sometimes notching very high numbers will help break up the signal from a bottle cap but if you are using a high frequency, it may be too close to large coins and hurt their signal. When pinpointing, a bottle cap will sound off past the edge of the coil and the tone is much wider. After you pinpoint the target, circle around it bumping the target with the edge of the coil and listen for iron tone. Turning the silencer up can help too. I would say that if you take a few that completely fool you home and keep going over them and a coin, you will eventually (usually quickly) hear a difference in the tone. I hope this helps.

Another tip from the Sabisch book on the Deus is to turn ID norm off and compare signals between high frequency and 4khz. If the ID is significantly lower in 4khz than a higher frequency, the target is probably a coin. Bottlecaps will ID about the same.

I believe it was CT Todd who said Normalization is not your friend. That got my attention and now mine stays off. Anyway, switching between programs works well but some of my coin hunting sites are so trashy it gets tiresome so I just leave it in 4Khz. Bottle caps mostly want to ring up higher than coins in 4Khz. I believe Gary Blackwell has made 1 or 2 videos about hunting in 4. Still hits the small stuff pretty well.

Did a large old lot today I"ve done before. Was once a spot where bikers met. Best find today was a small Harley medallion. But the caps are horrendous. Did not dig one using the tips we've discussed but you have to concentrate on every "good tone" to make sure its not a cap. Remind me if I'm wrong but I believe norm off is only available on the black coils which is why i use them for coins and HFs for jewelry and relics where you need higher kfz and you're generally digging everything so norm on not really a problem.

I hunt some of the trashiest parks you could imagine. At first, I dug crown cap after another. Then I learned that if you bob the coil directly over the target about 2 to 5 inches, you will hear the tale tale grunt of the bottle cap. You can skip those. I hardly dig a bottle cap anymore but I do get my share of quarters. Practice that method. It just works!

I find that most caps ring slightly higher than a quarter on the HF coil and also usually have a slightly different tone, I'm still occasionally fooled but dig as many as I did in the past. I sometimes dig to see if I'm wrong about the target.