Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle probe

mike k.

Can someone please tell me what size of metal rod to use for a bottle probe (diameter ,required length , what kind of steel etc. -thanks

Ive been out of that game for decades but as i recall the better probes are about 1/2" diam round spring steel with a slighly larger ball shape on the very bottom so as to break the vacuum when penetrating moist soil and clay...the shaft is about 5ft long and the handle should be 3/4" pipe stainless i think... the hollow handle allows you to feel and hear subtle texture changes in the soil... you could probably do a google search for privy probes to get some better ideas....

Mike, Find an old whip antenna; the type they used when CB radios were being used. They are long but you can cut them down to your desired length plus they have a built in handle. (the spring) You might find one in an old salvage yard or something like that. That's what I use. Jody...

I've heard of using the torsion bar out of an old car. they're used to assist in the raising of the deck-lids. The bigger the boat, the better. I'm thinking ... Buick Electra. :biggrin:

ok guys I went to an auto wreckers ,and got the round bar , spring steel trunk hinges from a 80,s Cadilac, welded a ball bearing on the bottom ,and a pc. of tubing for a T handle on top . - Works excellent .

mike k. said:
ok guys I went to an auto wreckers ,and got the round bar , spring steel trunk hinges from a 80,s Cadilac, welded a ball bearing on the bottom ,and a pc. of tubing for a T handle on top . - Works excellent .

:clapping: