Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bracelet or chain tone with Excal. in the water ?

OK , I've heard that chains and bracelets ( gold ) won't give a signal. But , the clasp spring will. So , what kind of tone might I expect ? A tone followed by a null ? Or , just a null ? I've dug a few tone/nulls , and it always seems to be a beer cap. I hunt with an excal. in Disc mode. usually salt water.
Thanks, guys !

I've only dug a couple light chains with and Excal/Sovereign in the water and both had pendants/crosses on them. In my experience during air tests light chains won't cause a null, they just don't offer much of a signal unless they are very shallow, balled up, or have a large clasp or pendant.

In tests with wife's jewelry, no null, no response on thin links. Small clasps didn't null and give a low tone but not quite the coming out of an iron null low growl. The test on small clasps, when they hit, have been slightly higher pitch than the coming out of iron null low growl. Have not found one yet in the sand with an Excal so can't say the tests resemble hunting conditions. Tests I've done are over clean dirt and not wet salt water sand.
Cheers,
tvr

This one has nice big links. It gave a nice fat classic lower tone . Same thing with the wrist bracelet. Both found in Chest deep water. Bracelet is 18k and Chain is 14k

www.myspace.com/betfe

Here is the trick to finding everything :detecting:I will hunt a place or section in disc with my Excalibur the go back over it in pinpoint. You will not miss anything that way. In other words my hunting friends will not even bother to hunt it if I've done that. It will be cleaned out:clapping:I'm finding small bracelets and tiny earrings doing this. You would be surprised how many tiny valuable or just plain nice things you will find. The secret is to be meticulous and just grid an area.

Jack Flynn said:
Here is the trick to finding everything :detecting:I will hunt a place or section in disc with my Excalibur the go back over it in pinpoint. You will not miss anything that way. In other words my hunting friends will not even bother to hunt it if I've done that. It will be cleaned out:clapping:I'm finding small bracelets and tiny earrings doing this. You would be surprised how many tiny valuable or just plain nice things you will find. The secret is to be meticulous and just grid an area.

The pinpoint does help quite a bit. I found this chain in fresh water (the pull tab is for size reference). I could not believe I found a chain this thin but the excal had no problem hitting it.

Electro said:
Jack Flynn said:

The pinpoint does help quite a bit. I found this chain in fresh water (the pull tab is for size reference). I could not believe I found a chain this thin but the excal had no problem hitting it.
I only wish there was a law that gold or silver chains had to have pull tabs attached to them. It would make it so much easier!

Good to know that pin point is pretty good on chains. I agree with OldBeechnut that pin point on an Excalibur exhibits some characteristics of a PI machine. So it stands to reason that chains would show up better in pin point.

Maybe it is me but "almost" every chain I have dug, gives me a ragged broke tone..(In Disc) most I would have missed if I was not hunting in PP and I hate to say it "most" of the gold rings I dig never sound to good until I get them up on the shore and tossing the sand down to find them. Only the shallow bigger chains and shallow rings give the tone that we live for.....

I'm with you guys that hunt in PP, the only way to fly if you want to tear the beach up.........

I keep digging broken signals thinking it's a chain, but it never is. I found a small junk chain today using pin point. I am convinced that there is a lot of jewelry below the discriminating range that can be had in all metal mode or pin point mode if you are willing to dig a lot of trash.

OBN said:
I hate to say it "most" of the gold rings I dig never sound to good until I get them up on the shore and tossing the sand down to find them

I need to remember that!

The 10K ring on the left (other pieces in the picture are sterling) is one I started to walk away from because it sounded so bad. That nagging feeling made me turn around and re-sweep. Swept the coil over it slowly several times and the Excal sounded very scratchy but it did not null; so I dug. There was a lot of iron around so I was getting numb to bad sounds and needed to focus on null or no null. Because of the iron, I was not hunting PP.