Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brass piece with logo of an S inside of a circle in the middle of a 4-pointed design (flower?)

I have no idea what this brass item is. Found it in an old farm field that had a structure on it that shows up on an 1862 map, but didn't find anything of interest in that field other than this, a 1951 wheat penny, and a metal insert from a "spoon" fairway wood golf club driver from maybe early 1960s. I should've added something for scale, but the dimensions of the main curved square are 2" X 2" and the L-shaped tab at the tap extends upward 1/2" then maybe 3/4" to the right. It is about 1/8' thick, like a decent sturdy belt buckle, but it definitely doesn't seem to have any of the normal parts of a buckle. The bottom left corner of this has cracked off and I assume it had a symmetrical L-shaped tab at the bottom left, same as the one at the top left, but I don't know for sure. If that's the case and those tabs allowed the piece to move like a hinge, then they would have to be oriented/pivot vertically or else it would swing so that the letter S would be on its side, if that makes any sense. There is nothing of interest or markings on the back, just smooth cast brass.

Any company logo that matches the "S" inside the circle in the middle of that 4-pointed flower/cross design? I don't know much about Singer sewing machines but that's a thought... doesn't seem to match, though. Maybe something from an old steam engine tractor, or some decorative piece from a Franklin/pot-belly stove?

Thanks for anything you can come up with, and HH!

Attachments

• image0-12.jpeg
    image0-12.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 160
I have no idea what this brass item is. Found it in an old farm field that had a structure on it that shows up on an 1862 map, but didn't find anything of interest in that field other than this, a 1951 wheat penny, and a metal insert from a "spoon" fairway wood golf club driver from maybe early 1960s. I should've added something for scale, but the dimensions of the main curved square are 2" X 2" and the L-shaped tab at the tap extends upward 1/2" then maybe 3/4" to the right. It is about 1/8' thick, like a decent sturdy belt buckle, but it definitely doesn't seem to have any of the normal parts of a buckle. The bottom left corner of this has cracked off and I assume it had a symmetrical L-shaped tab at the bottom left, same as the one at the top left, but I don't know for sure. If that's the case and those tabs allowed the piece to move like a hinge, then they would have to be oriented/pivot vertically or else it would swing so that the letter S would be on its side, if that makes any sense. There is nothing of interest or markings on the back, just smooth cast brass.

Any company logo that matches the "S" inside the circle in the middle of that 4-pointed flower/cross design? I don't know much about Singer sewing machines but that's a thought... doesn't seem to match, though. Maybe something from an old steam engine tractor, or some decorative piece from a Franklin/pot-belly stove?

Thanks for anything you can come up with, and HH!
It looks like a baggage tag but no numbers

Just a guess, but it looks like some kind of latch handle or a key. That flat arm that comes off that rounded arm at the top of the picture looks like it would key into another part of a latch that is missing.
Just something to think about.
Really nice find,
Ron in WV

I can see a worn area. Because of the strap maybe? As a Laplander, I think it may be some kind of belt buckle or vertical strapping. I think the piece on the opposite side is missing

Attachments

• 20220216_131815.jpg
    20220216_131815.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 126
Can we get a picture of the back and a location of any possible break points??
I'm thinking the size and shape it might be a buckle cover for horse tack.

Thank you WV62, Laplander, Draco, and HuntinDog! Sorry for my delayed reply.

Yes, my first impression was a buckle too. I also like Ron in WV's theory about some kind of a latch. I think that all of you have pointed out certain elements that are clues. Hard to tell... but the piece that is missing (breakpoint) is in vertical alignment with the letter S.

I've posted more photos to give a little more clarity & 3D view of it, what the back looks like, and where the one single break point that I can find is located. I've circled that single break point in yellow. Note that the L-shaped protruding piece not only protrudes upward, but it also is slightly lower than the plane of the main rounded square with the S on it, which I'm kind of wondering if Draco maybe is onto something about a vertical strapping and maybe it's something that slid up and down vertically. Hope this helps. I haven't cleaned it up too much and probably will toothpick it later, and if anything additional comes up I will post it, but I can see no writing other than the S. Thanks again! Let me know if you want to see more pics.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 144
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 139
Can we get a picture of the back and a location of any possible break points??
I'm thinking the size and shape it might be a buckle cover for horse tack.
Thanks, HuntinDog,

"it might be a buckle cover for horse tack" - now that I looked that up online, I can imagine that, too. There's one currently on eBay labeled "CIVIL WAR or 1800's BRASS HEART Harness or Bridle Buckle" and I can see it having some of the same characteristics. The modern ones look much thinner and are stamped out rather than cast, but still have a heart on them (Outfitters Pack Station website). Makes me wonder if maybe there were 3 total break points, the other 2 that I'm just not seeing due to patina or corrosion.

They also called them Buckle Shields.

Attachments

• Buckle Shield.jpg
    Buckle Shield.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 138
Maybe attached to a horse's bridle advertising the horse belonged to maybe the owner of the Circle S Ranch? Ma
Maybe so, I am wondering about that. As far as I know the property's been in that family (last name started with R) from mid-1800s until they sold it maybe in the 1950's (but are still living across the road, so I'm intrigued about the S.