Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bright shiny pennies

Ronstar

Just went thru both my penny jar and Mama’s all coin jar. Neither one of us like packing loose change around so into a jar it goes and at some point I sit down and go thru it all. No surprises in mine cuz habit makes me check before I store but Mama had a couple surprises, one 1940 nickel and one 1955 wheatie!
The one thing that caught me by surprise was three brand new looking pennies, so new looking I put them in with the new shield pennies at first. When I saw the Memorial on the back I double checked and noted one 1970S and two 1975Ds. It could be the 70 is a large date low 7 in MS63ish condition but a coin guy would have to make that call. The 75s are just regulars. She thinks they were change from a coffee stop.
I have seen cleaned pennies before but not with this sheen and the detail on the coins is 95% sharp and clear, very little circulation time.

I have to assume someones collection got tapped or there is really good way to clean.
Thoughts? Also she had several 1996D in same type condition......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 129
I had a similar thing happen a month or so ago. I had received some change that day ,, got home and pulled out my change ,, about to drop it in my jar ,, and just glanced thru the change to see if I had any Gold in there ,,, :giggle: ,,, anyway ,, I had a few of them shiny Lincoln's on top of the pile ,, raked my thumb across them to see what was under them ,, one of them shiny Lincoln's flipped over ,, and I saw the wheat leafs on the back of one of them brand new looking zincoln cents ,, it looked like a brand new wheatie ,, the date was a 1958 ,, cant recall that mint mark at the moment. But it was shiny ,, and very few markings or scratches on it. Haven't had time,, but was wanting to have someone look at it to see if theres anything special about it.

The 3 cents appear to have mint lustre on them, so most likely weren't cleaned.

People throw coins in chest of drawers corners, jars, coin purses and the like, and then forget about them for decades. If some of the coins happen to be new at the time they will look about the same when discovered and spent those decades later. Such coins often turn up with family member deaths and found when household contents are gone through. Of course, they could also be from a coin collection, but I lean towards them just not having been in circulation much since their mint date issues. Since none of our treasure finds can talk, thus, we can only speculate. A quick story about speculation and fate.

Although I hadn't coin roll hunted for several decades, a few years ago one rainy day while doing some banking, I asked the teller if she had any rolls of half dollars I could purchase? She stated I thinks so, a customer brought some in yesterday. She checked and said they had exactly $300.00 worth. I said I would take them. Upon her bagging the rolls for me, I noted all the wrappers were from a bank up in Missouri, and were tannish/beige in color. Upon getting home and unwrapping the first roll I promptly discovered it was a roll of 40% Kennedy halves.....and, so were all the others.

Speculation, a family member passed and heirs just deposited the halves??? Fate, all kinds of it comes into play here. HH jim tn

Yes, I had a Yamaha 250 Enduro in College I bought used for $ 600.00. I stripped it down and repainted it in the Winter of 1970.
I remember filling it up for 25 cents and ridding it all week. was fun.
After School I had a part time job with the local School District as a music teacher. I would travel around to 4 schools and give guitar lessons.
Paid $ 25.00 a class. Wasn't bad pay but you had to deal with grade school kids.

The 3 cents appear to have mint lustre on them, so most likely weren't cleaned.

People throw coins in chest of drawers corners, jars, coin purses and the like, and then forget about them for decades. If some of the coins happen to be new at the time they will look about the same when discovered and spent those decades later. Such coins often turn up with family member deaths and found when household contents are gone through. Of course, they could also be from a coin collection, but I lean towards them just not having been in circulation much since their mint date issues. Since none of our treasure finds can talk, thus, we can only speculate. A quick story about speculation and fate.

Although I hadn't coin roll hunted for several decades, a few years ago one rainy day while doing some banking, I asked the teller if she had any rolls of half dollars I could purchase? She stated I thinks so, a customer brought some in yesterday. She checked and said they had exactly $300.00 worth. I said I would take them. Upon her bagging the rolls for me, I noted all the wrappers were from a bank up in Missouri, and were tannish/beige in color. Upon getting home and unwrapping the first roll I promptly discovered it was a roll of 40% Kennedy halves.....and, so were all the others.

Speculation, a family member passed and heirs just deposited the halves??? Fate, all kinds of it comes into play here. HH jim tn
Similar deal for me, I was asking for some halves, and the guy said, hey, I also have a roll of the big silver dollars here. I bought it and discovered 4 Morgans and one Peace dollar in the roll. Now, I have never had that happen. Nothing in the $150.00 of halves though