Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broke my Coil ear AGAIN!!! Attempting rear with Super Glue

silvercoinboy

Yep, I did it again. Was changing back from Minelab stock to carbon fiber one, and the ear broke. It was still attached, and I attempted super glue fix. Held for 2 hours of hunting today.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 169
Does Minelab know this is a continuous problem. I'm hearing this to often. Haven't used my new machine yet. I have the coil supports but also read that even that doesn't protect it that much.

Does Minelab know this is a continuous problem. I'm hearing this to often. Haven't used my new machine yet. I have the coil supports but also read that even that doesn't protect it that much.
Both of my coil ears broke at the same time last year. I was using one of those coil ear stiffeners at the time. Obviously didn't work. Would never use one again.
Called Minelab and they replaced the coil under warranty. I asked the repair guy why all these coil ears were breaking and if Minelab was aware of the problem. He said they believe the breakage is due to over tightening of the coil bolt which causes stress on the ears. And, yes, Minelab is well aware of the coil ear breakage problem.
To Silvercoinboy, you should get a replacement coil from Minelab under warranty instead of fixing your coil. If that fails, you might try the super glue fix, but rub some baking soda in with the super glue to make a very hard reinforcement around the ears. Good luck.

Of course blame the customer. Not themselves for not making it stronger, at a known high stress point. Look closely at some other detector brands costing a fraction of a Minelab, and you never see this problem. Nokta Simplex is but one brand that comes to mind. I am talking strictly about detector housing, and coil build quality. Think about that. When your warranty is up, this will become very costly to anyone who owns one.

Both of my coil ears broke at the same time last year. I was using one of those coil ear stiffeners at the time. Obviously didn't work. Would never use one again.
Called Minelab and they replaced the coil under warranty. I asked the repair guy why all these coil ears were breaking and if Minelab was aware of the problem. He said they believe the breakage is due to over tightening of the coil bolt which causes stress on the ears. And, yes, Minelab is well aware of the coil ear breakage problem.
To Silvercoinboy, you should get a replacement coil from Minelab under warranty instead of fixing your coil. If that fails, you might try the super glue fix, but rub some baking soda in with the super glue to make a very hard reinforcement around the ears. Good luck.
I had one replaced already, but I do not want to wait the month it will take to get it back from the 'States. I left my 600 at my house in Florida.

There are several videos on youtube as to how to repair coil ears. Super glue won't hold it. You need a rigid piece of plastic, like acrylic, trimmed to roughly the shape of your coil ear, and then epoxy it in place as a "backer" for the broken coil ear, using a high-quality epoxy that is suitable for plastics.

Steve

Here is something you can try Made by J-B WELD ----F0rmulated Epoxy putty ,bought it at Wal-Mart they make one for wood and plastics and one for steel.IT works forever. :yikes:

They make a stiffener that uses zip ties to repair the broken ears I’d buy a Coiltek when they’re available probably a lot beefier than the nox!
Mark

Yep, I did it again. Was changing back from Minelab stock to carbon fiber one, and the ear broke. It was still attached, and I attempted super glue fix. Held for 2 hours of hunting today.
I f
Of course blame the customer. Not themselves for not making it stronger, at a known high stress point. Look closely at some other detector brands costing a fraction of a Minelab, and you never see this problem. Nokta Simplex is but one brand that comes to mind. I am talking strictly about detector housing, and coil build quality. Think about that. When your warranty is up, this will become very costly to anyone who owns one.
I have had the same issue on 3 of my equinox coils already. The coil ears are to thin. I have a number of other detectors and never had a problem. Very frustrating.

I did eventually by a coil fix it kit with zip ties and its been holding up so far on the stock coil, but looks real tacky. I also have the 15 inch which I have been using at the beach and am afraid of the ears snapping on that coil. For that very reason have been considering buying the Simplex, or using one of my other beach machines. My warranty has expired on my Nox and at 250.00 a coil its to damn much.

Broken ear coils.... I haven't experience this yet... But I do carry a roll of heavy duty duct tape in my metal detecting carrying bag. I promise you duct tape will get me through the rest of the day. A shaft bent in 2 places... Or broken ear coils...! You can rip it in strips..!!

If duct tape can get Apollo 13 back to planet Earth... it will work for one day metal detecting. A Good roll of duct tape can save your day..!! Just ask Jim Lovell, Jack Swigert and Fred Haise.

Last edited:
Anyone ever notice how thin the fisher/Tek ears are? after many many hundreds of hours in the woods and fields I’ve never broken one....how did they manage that?

I did eventually by a coil fix it kit with zip ties and its been holding up so far on the stock coil, but looks real tacky. I also have the 15 inch which I have been using at the beach and am afraid of the ears snapping on that coil. For that very reason have been considering buying the Simplex, or using one of my other beach machines. My warranty has expired on my Nox and at 250.00 a coil its to damn much.
Minelab should be embarrassed and ashamed for putting out such a good performing metal detector in an piece of junk cheaply made plastic coil and detector control. Nokta Makro builds a machine that retails for under $300, with solid sensible design, very high build quality, and loaded with great features, and can even withstand abuse like this.
Nokta Simplex keeps on working.
Over the top, but it proves his point.. Equinox owners are kludging together their thousand dollar machines' broken coils, with duct tape, plastic wire ties, glue and maybe even chewing gum, and Minelab doesn't seem to be concerned. Shameful.

The one thing I have noticed on videos etc of the “professionals” using Minelab coils is that when they set their detectors aside the coils very easily just lay flat. When they pick it back up the coil just rotates back to the angle of the ground. This tells me the coils are not tightened if at all. I on the otherhand I keep my Fisher coils about 80% tightened and if I need to adjust the coil to stay parallel to the ground a simple light push of my toe to the heel of the coil makes the adjustment. Eight years of using Fisher coils and no breakage. Just my two cents.

I've had my Nox for over a year and am pretty rough with it. I hunt in moving water, the woods, etc. and have not had a coil ear break. I keep the coil lugs loose enough so that the coil will hold under it's own weight, but with slight pressure, it will move easily.

It has maybe been said but I always get lower rods for any of my detectors which I use a lot, and that keeps me from unscrewing the coils at the coil connection. It just seems logical that people will eventually have ears break off if they literally remove and replace the coil by itself. I've ran an Equinox 600 and 800 machines for 2 years, I never bought a 15" coil,,,,never had any coil ear breaking. I'm an open ground hunter though, not rough on equipment, so maybe I'd had issues too if I was a power hunter also. But, I do believe in having separate lowers for each coil size.