Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brown Bess Rifle

Wildbill, Congrat's on the Save of the Brown Bess rifle. I too look forward to seeing pic's. Watch videos on the product Gemplers. Mr. Phillips does some nice videos on restoring old iron, mostly CW relics using this product. It really does a great job in protecting and restoring the iron. It will turn the iron black once treated, but it leaves a nice finish and I believe you are able to see the details better on the treated iron. I'm not affiliated with this company, I gave it a try on some of my CW relics after watching these videos and I was very pleased with the results. Keep us informed with the progress of Brown Bess if you will, and Best of luck to you.

I never recommend electrolysis, unless you want it just for decoration. The brown bess is very easy to apply. I have several ancient recipes, depending on what kind of rifle it is. Anyway there are very good tutorials on the net It would be necessary to see photos

Attachments

• brown bess.jpg
    brown bess.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 202
That is great. Must have been exciting digging that piece by piece especially when you realized what you had. 🤔👍
It was very exciting!!! The first piece I dug was the base pipe for the ramrod. I knew it was a rifle part so I kept swinging. I then dug the butt plate and knew I was on a rifle. I dug the complete hammer plate assembly with the flint still in it next, then came the trigger assembly. I digging all this right beside three small trees with roots galore and I'm thinking where is the barrel. I go to the backside of the trees and there is the barrel sticking out of the ground. The barrel wasn't complete though. I have the breech end which is 33" long and I found another piece that is 8" long. I went back the next day and found a few more small pieces of the barrel and one more of the ramrod pipes. I feel like there is a few more parts there and I plan on going back again soon.

It was very exciting!!! The first piece I dug was the base pipe for the ramrod. I knew it was a rifle part so I kept swinging. I then dug the butt plate and knew I was on a rifle. I dug the complete hammer plate assembly with the flint still in it next, then came the trigger assembly. I digging all this right beside three small trees with roots galore and I'm thinking where is the barrel. I go to the backside of the trees and there is the barrel sticking out of the ground. The barrel wasn't complete though. I have the breech end which is 33" long and I found another piece that is 8" long. I went back the next day and found a few more small pieces of the barrel and one more of the ramrod pipes. I feel like there is a few more parts there and I plan on going back again soon.
Keep on digging. Next thing ya know you’ll be out test firing that thing 😁

Awesome recovery.
Congratulations.
Going to be a rewarding project.