Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bryce Browns Deep Silver settings with the SEF 6x8

Anyone tried Bryce Browns Deep Silver settings with the SEF 6x8? I've used those settings with my 10x12 SEF and the Pro Coil with great success. I hear the Ultimate 13 inch is outstanding with these settings as well. Wondering if anyone has tried the settings with a smaller coil.

Response -------Normal
Sounds======Conductive
Threshold Volume -----------10
Variability---------------------10
Limits--------------------------10
Volume Max Limit-------------7
Volume Gain ------------------10
Recovery--------------------------Deep off and fast off
Sensitivity set to Auto and at a value of 26

undrpar said:
Response -------Normal
Sounds======Conductive

Just to 100% sure...this is specifically for the 8x6?

Ok, here goes. I'm less then a year into the Explorer. Mine was set up bu the best FBS hunter I've personally met, and tutored all along till now. We run manual 24-26 sens or a bit more as long the stability stays generally good. I have slipped into auto a few times, and when I get called to check a signal 8-10", it won't hit it. It's a deep coin too. Once I go back to manual, it sees it.

In my personal experience, auto sense ain't "deep silver." Deepest anyway. Auto certainly handles trashy parks smoother,,,manual does fine in anything moderate and below. I'm also thinking that 26 sense can be raised with the smaller 8x6, in theory anyway. My take so far as to Bryce's setting is that sense is setup around the stock coil, not the 8x6.

I welcome correction if verbage from Bryce delineates and points to the 8x6. I own one of those coils. I'd like to know the best "deep coin/silver" settings as well for max depth. I just don't feel auto sense can match manual in my Texas clay. Comparing signals on deep coins at 8-9-10 inches in auto hasn't pinged as the manual sens does. Lets just be certain that these setting are really for the 8x6 SEF.

I hunt almost exclusively trashy parks, so I use semi-auto. Just the other day tried to use manual 26, but switched back within a few minutes. Also, I agree with CharlesNY that gain is better set at 7 or 8. I use deep on, fast off.

5900_XL-1 said:
Ok, here goes. I'm less then a year into the Explorer. Mine was set up bu the best FBS hunter I've personally met, and tutored all along till now. We run manual 24-26 sens or a bit more as long the stability stays generally good. I have slipped into auto a few times, and when I get called to check a signal 8-10", it won't hit it. It's a deep coin too. Once I go back to manual, it sees it.

In my personal experience, auto sense ain't "deep silver." Deepest anyway. Auto certainly handles trashy parks smoother,,,manual does fine in anything moderate and below. I'm also thinking that 26 sense can be raised with the smaller 8x6, in theory anyway. My take so far as to Bryce's setting is that sense is setup around the stock coil, not the 8x6.

I welcome correction if verbage from Bryce delineates and points to the 8x6. I own one of those coils. I'd like to know the best "deep coin/silver" settings as well for max depth. I just don't feel auto sense can match manual in my Texas clay. Comparing signals on deep coins at 8-9-10 inches in auto hasn't pinged as the manual sens does. Lets just be certain that these setting are really for the 8x6 SEF.

You're spot on about everything above XL. The smaller the coil the higher you can set the Sens. You'll find the deepest of coins the way you're running,as long as local EMI or surrounding trash isn't causing falsing that will detract from you hearing the faintest and shortest targets. Carry on with your setup....

He uses this with all coils.
undrpar said:
Response -------Normal
Sounds======Conductive

Just to 100% sure...this is specifically for the 8x6?[/quote]

Threshold volume 10 but Max Volume only 7, auto sensitivity, deep off...for deep coins? Those are some whacky settings I would not recommend. There is NO reason to have your threshold volume any higher than can be comfortably heard.

Gain of 10 will amplify ALL signals including falsing from mineralized soil and tiny bits of rotten iron to maximum volume, every little chirp is going to be loud as hell. Hence the use of auto sensitivity is my guess which will reduce sensitivity eliminating those but also the deepest faint targets with them.

Not to sound like a broken record but SENSITIVITY IS PROCESSED FIRST. Gain only amplifies what's left over after your sensitivity setting is applied. If you lower the sensitivity to deal with the problems of having your gain set to 10 e.g. all the chirps and squeaks this will eliminate those deeper coins along with them. You could crank your gain to 10,000 it won't matter the target was already eliminated by the lower sensitivity setting before gain amplification is applied.

That said, the difference between a gain of 7 and 8 is enough to almost miss a deep silver dime or silver dime somewhat on edge. I took a couple steps past one once at a site known for deep targets. It took a couple steps for it to register in my brain, I backed up, turned the gain to 8 and gain increased the volume considerably, to the point no way I would have walked past that target, at 7 it was really faint and small. So don't get stuck in a rut with your gain at 7, while that is frequently ideal for many site conditions if the soil has less mineralization and a gain of 8 isn't driving you nuts with ground falsing chirps by all means run your gain at 8 or whatever the site will withstand.

"Why not just have more power and have 10 be the highest setting?"
Reply..."See,this one goes to 11! It's one more than 10!"
:lol::lol:

tiftaaft said:
Can't tell you how happy I am to see a Nigel Tufnel quote on the Explorer forum :D

I always try to please...I'm glad you guys got it!:clapping:

IDXMonster said:
tiftaaft said:
Can't tell you how happy I am to see a Nigel Tufnel quote on the Explorer forum :D

I always try to please...I'm glad you guys got it!:clapping:

I'll show you 11, these boards will drive 100 watts of Wing-C 6L6 tube high gain destruction! :surrender:

pa2.jpg

ps4.jpg

These responses are great! Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going to try the 6x8 with the settings this weekend. Stay tuned. I do love the high pitch of the conducive setting also.

I hunt mostly with the SEF 6x8.. I will try these setting and hit some old spots to see if I can pull out some coins that I may have missed.. thx

I tried those settings today.. I had to increase the threshold and volume some as I'm hearing impaired.