Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Buckle id

Okay guys, being in Michigan the only CW related find I've ever dug was a McClellen token last year. But I seemed to have stumbled across something of the same time period and it looks to be possibly military. Any ideas? The letters AG or AC in fancy script with cannons, swords, muskets, and a sea anchor. Single hook on back, I cannot find any makers marks. Found on a cozy 20° field hunt this evening. Thanks

Nice GAR buckle find Travis, post Civil War.............Grand Army of the Republic. It is Civil War related though, CW Veterans organization.

Thank you Larry. A few years off I guess...lol.

Super find. :thumbup:

Nice buckle, could probably straighten it up like new if you know how to do it...HH

One is for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-Army-Republic-GAR-Civil-War-Solid-Brass-Belt-Buckle-/251451495030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8bad5276

I thought about heating it in the oven for a bit then using blocks of wood in a vise. Any other ideas? I'm guessing the one on eBay is a non dug piece? Looks sweet. I went back to the site tonight after work and dug a couple of toe taps, a 63' fattie, and a cool looking Jack knife. I'd love to find a button or two off of the fellas old CW coat....

I would heat it in in boiling water to straighten, although you might have to put it in an oven safe container to boil the water so you can get the temperature hot enough depending on the thickness of the buckle. Various tools used to straighten it. Wood blocks, hard rubber hammers, big needle nose pliers with tape at ends to not scratch metal. I must say though it looks fine the way it is to me. Just an idea. The one on eBay looks like a repro to me. Could be wrong though.

It sounds like you are hunting in an interesting spot, good luck.