Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bug Spray on my screen!

duclaw

This can only happen to me! Was out in the back yard playing around with some settings and the mosquitos were crazy...put the V3 down and covered myself with spray. I later realized a tiny bit of spray must have made its way to the ground and my screen. I tried wiping it off with a wet towel...no luck. I'm thinking Windex is not a good idea as I know it can cause permanent fogging of some non-glass surfaces. Any suggestions other than being more careful when using bug spray? To keep this in perspective, it is barely noticeable when the unit is on, so I'm not freaking out, but I'd still like to clean it up if possible.

You might want to try wiping the screen with a product called Un-Du....it's a wonderful adhesive remover and very gentle. Then I'd consider protecting the scree with the product that we're really not allowed to talk about here, but it starts with a Z and ends with an AGG :biggrin:

I see that ZAGG makes a product for the DFX(XLT), but it appears they do not make one yet for the V3. Sorry, I don't understand you comment re: not talking about it...White's Logo is on ZAGG's site so what is the issue?

They make some protectors that you can cut to fit the V3.....I don't know why they just don't sell a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of the stuff. Someone needs to send them a V3 to make a template, but I think they will do it. They should advertise here to help the site....the owner rightly so doesn't want to send them all the internet traffic for free. Let me know if you need help finding the Un-Du .... it's great stuff!

If you are around a full service dealer or distributor, they might be stocking the new screen protectors now. Camera shops have the "trim to fit" screen protection film too.
Good luck on your screen being OK and let us know how it comes out! Dang 'squitos!

The screen protector is a peel off and replace. A new one is sold by repair centers, (cheap or sometimes free). I would call Whites and get two while you are at it.

White's is a major sponsor of Finds, brand XYZ is not. We support the companies that make this forum possible.

Larry,

Let me be sure that I understand you correctly. You are saying that there is already a "built in" peel and replace screen protector on our V3's? I'm looking at mine now and it does appear that is the case. If so, there is no chance of me screwing up the video screen when removing it is there? Again, if this is the case, it is yet another great idea implemented by White's!

I would maybe try some rubbing alcohol. The plastic screen protector will peel of and you can put another on if you need to replaced a couple on my DFX.

Yep, White's have done that since at least the XLT days, I can't remember if the Eagle had them or not.

Ya learn something new everyday. I've had my XLT for years and never knew that. The screen is still in great shape and I never had the need to look into it. As always, thanks for your help Larry(and everyone for their suggestions). BTW, I tried rubbing alcohol....didn't work. What the heck is in bug spray that makes its mist that damaging? (no need to answer that....actually please don't, I probably don't want to know! :)

Like I said a true adhesive remover will probably cut through the bug spray easily. The Un-Du is strong, yet gentle (kinda like me :biggrin:) the owner of the co does a demo where he removes a piece of toilet paper stuck to duct tape. I love the stuff. I'd try it before peeling off the screen protector.

Thanks for the info Larry - built-in screen protector is a great idea! :thumbup:

n/t

Good idea to order more than one protector. (The camera screen film is not a replacement but just something to use to protect the "screen protector" in muddy/wet environments and sure beats a baggy.) The Whites replacements are only a few bucks and replace easily...square one corner and smooth across lateraly. No flex so looks perfect every time.

Don't use adhesive remover! It will melt the plastic and make it worse.

I did exactly the same thing with bug spray. The bug spray attacks the plastic. I used Mother's Back to Black (available at auto parts stores) to restore the plastic. It worked very well. So much so that I used it on the whole detector! It looks like new!

John

jgedde said:

I did exactly the same thing with bug spray. The bug spray attacks the plastic. I used Mother's Back to Black (available at auto parts stores) to restore the plastic. It worked very well. So much so that I used it on the whole detector! It looks like new!

John

LOL! OK guys, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the recommendations, but John, are you assuming that because this is an "adhesive remover" it will eat into the plastic or do you know this first hand? With that said, same question to Eric. You recommend Un-Du, but have you actually used it on this specific application.... the screen protector of your V3? The last thing I want to do is make it worse....granted, I'm going to take Larry's advice and get some extras in as that seems to me the safest way to go, but as I mentioned in my initial post, the residue is barely noticeable when the unit is on....I'm just a bit (a n a l) and prefer it to be gone all together. Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. I do know first hand that "Goo-Off" (available at hardware stores) is definitely NOT good for plastics for the reasons John mentioned. Tried that on an old cell phone screen and it screwed it up big time.

Un-Du is a totally different animal than Goof-Off.....Goof-Off is junk as far as I'm concerned and it leaves a residue behind. Un-Du is amazingly gentle on substrates, yet very effective at removing all sorts of adhesive and I believe that it leaves no residue. It's so gentle that you can use it on photographs! I have not used it on my screen because I don't have my V3 yet (and after your post I'll watch where I'm spraying bug spray :biggrin:) -- but I would feel comfortable using it for this application on my screen protector - it's OK to use on plastics and I use it for all sorts of applications. If you're going to order some extra screen protectors and this one is already affected I wouldn't hesitate to use Un-Du, but I wouldn't use any other brand. Google it and call the co and they can tell you where to buy it locally...it used to be white labelled by another co at Home Depot, but it is not there any more. If you can't find it let me know and I'll pick some up this weekend and mail it to you. Wonderful stuff in my opinion!

Duclaw,

While I haven't used Erik's recommendation of Un-Do, my experience with adhesive removers is that they are orange oil or petroleum distillate based compounds which definitely attack certain plastics. The insecticide spray also has petroleum based compounds. That said, seeing how the bug spray hurt my V3 and also having damaged a brand new microwave oven cleaning it with orange oil, in my mind it's not worth the risk of damaging the V3 any further by trying various cleaning agents without hindsight.

The damage on my V3 was a hazy whitening of the black plastic where the droplets of bug spray contacted the plastic. In addition, the screen had marks that looked like the spray was dried on. However, looking at the marks under a jeweler's loupe, it was clear the plastic had been, for lack of a better word, etched. That said, adhesive remover is not likely to remove anything as the plastic is likely damaged microscopically, and trying to remove it presents itself as a risky proposition as far as doing further damage. That's why I say "don't do it!" If you can feel the marks with a fingernail, chances are it's surface contamination (see last paragraph); if you can't, you likely did the same thing to your V3 as I did to mine. The product I used to fix mine, Mother's Back to Black, creates a coating that hides imperfections in the plastic - like scratches, pits, fading, and bug spray damage. It's non-oily and also helps prevent dirt from adhering to the unit. This stuff is not silicone or the greasy stuff the car wash puts on your dashboard and tires. It seems to be absorbed into the plastic and leaves it looking brand new. I'm telling you this from first hand personal experience, not heresay.

I've used Mother's Back to Black on many black and colored plastic items to bring back the shiny new appearance: ATVs, cars, electronics, etc. Having that insight, it was a safe bet in my mind for me to clean up my V3 with that product. It worked very well...

By the way, a small amount of WD40 on a soft cloth (not a paper towel) is safe for the unit and will remove any non-water based dirt. I used WD40 in my initial attempts to restore my V3 and it did not hurt the plastic in any way. It also hid the damage caused by the bug spray, but only lasted a few hours. Nonetheless, I'd advise you to try WD40 first before considering any adhesive removers. Don't spray the unit, spray the cloth.

John

duclaw said:
jgedde said:

John

LOL! OK guys, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the recommendations, but John, are you assuming that because this is an "adhesive remover" it will eat into the plastic or do you know this first hand? With that said, same question to Eric. You recommend Un-Du, but have you actually used it on this specific application.... the screen protector of your V3? The last thing I want to do is make it worse....granted, I'm going to take Larry's advice and get some extras in as that seems to me the safest way to go, but as I mentioned in my initial post, the residue is barely noticeable when the unit is on....I'm just a bit (a n a l) and prefer it to be gone all together. Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. I do know first hand that "Goo-Off" (available at hardware stores) is definitely NOT good for plastics for the reasons John mentioned. Tried that on an old cell phone screen and it screwed it up big time.

Jason in TN said:
I would maybe try some rubbing alcohol. The plastic screen protector will peel of and you can put another on if you need to replaced a couple on my DFX.

Rubbing alcohol is OK to try too. I tried that on mine to attempt to remove the bug spray damage - it didn't work. However, while rubbing alcohol doesn't dissolve or soften the plastic, it does tend to remove any remaining mold release oils from the plastic's surface that give it that out-of-the-box, shiny appearance.

John

John's right in that if it's etched Un-Du won't do anything.

But if you want to read about the product:

www.un-du.com

It's really great stuff!