Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Building a set of headphones

duggr

Been using my Rapoos H3070 with the supplied cord and running it to the WM-10
which works fine out in the woods or other place where the background noise is
minimal. Decided I would Put something together that would be better for detecting in the
city! I don't have any full size headphones at this time but I had plenty of speakers and the
little thing's I needed to get the job done. I purchased a Couple of ear muffs on the bay for $13 and
some change. Ordered a couple Microphone cords that will stretch from the floor to the ceiling (8').
The speakers I used I salvaged from an old Pair of Koss UR 30's. I like these as they are 50mm (2")
and around 150 ohms and made to work with the Minelab detectors as far as the Ohm Value is concerned.
I decided also to include a Mono/Stereo Switch with these so I could use them with my TeK G2+ as well.
The only down side is that when using them with the CTX I have to use the WM 10 (which I always do) or
the external speaker on the CTX will not shut off. This wasn't a big deal for me as I plan on making
another set that i'm able to use in the water. I will instal an IP68 water proof connector on this set as well.
The set of headphones i just done have a Mini XLR connector that connects the cord to the Headset. I went this
route Because I going to make a short cord to Hook up my Auvio Wireless receiver to the headphones so I can
go wireless on them as well. I'll have tosee how that works out as I still have parts on order for that Mod. Heres
a few pics below.

Parts on the way for more builds. I have a set of Howard Leight Thunder 29's I found here in the mix of things.with the Leather simulated
ear pad's and my opinion is that the Yellow Muff I`m using is more comfortable and more versitile. Some of the headphones
like the ones that are built like the thunder 29's and use the same shell design are just a little long for me and the bottom part of the
muff put's just enough pressure below my ear lobe and by my upper jaw bone to make it uncomfortable over longer period's of time.
The Bilsom design Muffs are just a little shorter and because of the design I can rotate the muff enough to find a comfortable
position on my ears missing that sensitive part below my lower ear and jaw bone. It seems to me the design of the headband on
the Bilsom put a more even pressure on the muff and with the lightweight headband design I can move it in whatever position if need to
and still have the same fit. These phones will be the last full size design I will use, although i do want to try out the MSA Sordin Muff's
to see how they will work.

good job!! its fun making headphones I have some nice speakers to make another set when time allows :biggrin:

if you wire them for the back on the ctx they will work on the G2+ as well with no mono stereo switch.

AJ

P5220010.jpg

P5220003.jpg

amberjack said:
good job!! its fun making headphones I have some nice speakers to make another set when time allows :biggrin:

if you wire them for the back on the ctx they will work on the G2+ as well with no mono stereo switch.

AJ

Thanks AJ ! I got a waterproof connector for the Underwater CTX Headphone Mod I will be doing down the road.
I just finished My Rat style mono/stereo cord for a pair of thunder 29's I had laying around. Still waiting for the
Audio Taper Pots to come in the mail to finish them. WIll post more photos when there done.

I purchased a set of Audiosears to try out for another set of headphones and found out that they are not for me..
I like to hear the full spectrum of sounds and those Audiosears just don't cut it. I must admit that I like the deep low tones
as much as a nice well rounded mid and upper tones, especially on my FBS detector.
Been trying to find a speaker that will do the job for my next build and came across these 55mm monsters.
below is a photo of the 55mm next to a Audiosear 42mm speaker

Built this set and changed a couple thing's I used Premium Quality Neutrik Connectors on both ends of the cord. These
connectors are worth the price and are so much easier to work with. I added a Mini toggle for the Stereo/Mono switch on
the second set and installed some rubber grommets for the speaker wiring. I used two 150-ohm 55mm speakers for the
the newer set as well,wired like they are produces an 83 ohm load and works great for my CTX. I installed a volume pot
on the first set to experiment a little and decided not to add one to the second set because every detector I have has a volume
control itself. The first set with the pot is going to my hunting buddy Joe as a gift. I let him try them on his AT Pro and he likes
the High Volume he gets with these compared to the stock Garrett headphones that Garrett Supply's with the AT pro.My next set
I will be using Howard Leigh T3 along with some Piezo's and appropriate Waterproof Connectors to make a pair of underwater
Headphones for my CTX that will last. Hopefully these will turn out ok as I never ventured into this type of headphone before.

Took the Day off to recoup from short nights and long weeks at work! Decided that I will try to get a few
Headphone's ready for the parts on order. My hunting buddy (Joe) said that the pair of headphones I gave
him worked Awesome on his AT-Pro. He said also that the deeper targets had more volume and a fuller sound
than both the At pro standard and waterproof headphones he normally uses. Needless to say This was good news
but not totally unexpected as they worked great on my CTX and both the Garrett and Minelab use a Stereo headphone.
I still put a mono Stereo switch in them as he has a Tesoro as well. Been experimenting with different headband cushion
as well but feel that there really isn't a great advantage with the cushion unless you just want one and because you don't wear
a hat when detecting. I shave my head and the stock plastic adjustable band is still comfortable for me. Also! depending on your
head the headband cushion take's up some of the length when adjusting the ear cup distance for your personal fit, there's still plenty
of room for me though and I have a round big head. If your wanting to build your own headphones I have a tip or two for you that will help
make your project more comfortable and hopefully more durable. First off, find a earmuff that fits you personally! I chose the yellow one's
because I have medium length ears and the ear cup is able to be rotated in a more comfortable position if needed. In the photos below you
will see a Pair of Koss qz99 that I have dissembled. These are Very Comfortable but the speakers in them leave a lot to be desired when it
comes to volume needed to be able to hear the targets on the fringe depths of detection. I'm going to put some 54mm drivers in them to and
wire accordingly for efficiency. The ear cushion on them also seems to have a gel or something in them. I wouldn't recommend any of the above
muffs if you have extremely long ears or you should at least try them out first. I would recommend the Thunder 29 muffs in the photo below though for those who have larger than normal ears.
As far a headphone speakers is concerned I like the Larger and efficient drivers for a more Fuller sound. These speakers will be hard to find but worth the effort.
As far as headphone cords, don't settle for a cheaply built cord either. I use cord's removed from military headsets, these are 4-conductor's with a
shield cable. I use 4-conductor 1-shield because The cord is the component that will most likely Fail first,most name brand company's that I know of don't
even warranty there cord at all unless you get a bad one when you first purchase them. On the four conductor one shield cord I solder two wires to the Ring
and Tip and solder the shield to the sleeve. This give's me another wire on both the tip and ring in case one wire should break and the shield wire is made up from
50 or so strands of wire giving you a signal even if a few break as well..Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Got a Black pair of Bilsom V-3's (marked Howard Leigh). Wired the right side volume and installed the
M/S switch behind it. Still need to install the left speaker and volume pot, just waiting for some new microphone cord
and rubber grommets to wire the speakers up! Below is a few photos. Just noticed while posting the photos that I forgot to put a black vinyl
cover on the M/S switch. Really Like the Light Weight design of these muffs along with the ability to be able to move the headband behind my
neck when using my sunny day hat.

I like what you have made. If I were to put new speakers in my head phones what speakers do you suggest?----------after1------

After-1- said:
I like what you have made. If I were to put new speakers in my head phones what speakers do you suggest?----------after1------
What detector do you use and how do you like your headphones to sound?

duggr said:
After-1- said:
I use a fisher F70 and want to see if I could hear those faint tones better--------------after1----

Just wanted to thank you again for the set you built me Duggr, and say I've been using the the at-pro for 2 1/2 years now with the stock(Garrett) and mostly the water-proof(Garrett) headphones. The set Duggr built for me have really opened up the proportional audio and the iron audio on the At-pro for me, as I'm getting older losing a little hearing and sight I did not realize what I was missing. LOL I had read lots of info on needing to use quality headphones for detecting and had thought the Garrett were good enough, boy was I wrong! Thanks again! for the awesome headphones Duggr.

JoeDiggs said:
Just wanted to thank you again for the set you built me Duggr, and say I've been using the the at-pro for 2 1/2 years now with the stock(Garrett) and mostly the water-proof(Garrett) headphones. The set Duggr built for me have really opened up the proportional audio and the iron audio on the At-pro for me, as I'm getting older losing a little hearing and sight I did not realize what I was missing. LOL I had read lots of info on needing to use quality headphones for detecting and had thought the Garrett were good enough, boy was I wrong! Thanks again! for the awesome headphones Duggr.

Your Welcome my Friend!

Just finished up the Black V-3's All good and ready to go!

After-1- said:
duggr said:
After-1- said:
I use a fisher F70 and want to see if I could hear those faint tones better--------------after1----
Any speakers that are better than what I have?----------after1---------

Found these Moldex muffs in the closet and decided to make another set of headphones! One thing I noticed about the
Moldex Shells is that the walls are "Thick". I had to drill and tap the shell to install the Volume Pots and M/S switch as there
wasn't enough room to mount them as you normally do. I have to say that these shells will definitely keep out the external
sound as well as or better than most. Here are a few photos before I finish them.

:ausflag:Hi found where I can get mini speakers from just would like to know what plastic mesh is used in headphone and how do you mount the speakers into the ear cups thanks john

Very impressive duggr. Have you ever used the gel ear pads?