Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bullets, Button, skeleton key.... Great relic day

cz70pro

Hit a park Sunday that has history going back to the Civil War and after that became a post Civil War and Victorian neighborhood. The neighborhood fell into disrepair many decades ago and they started tearing the houses down and then simply pushed them over the hillsides throughout the park. Everywhere you go in this park you see broken china, relics, etc. A small coil is a must have to search there. You dig a lot of trash but the relics that pop out are more than worth the effort. I began hunting a small area with the X-5 and started picking out the good tones from the iron using the open screen, 25 ferrous line and multi tones. My first good target was the remains of a Royal Crown Cola bottle carrier and a small glass bottle in the same hole. Just a few feet away, I dug a small two piece button 2 inches deep that turned out to be a Culver (Indiana) Military Institute button. Very cool button. I then moved on and dug a very unusual skeleton key with an older script numeral 2 on it. It's a very unusual key and if anyone has any idea what it was used with I would greatly appreciate any info on it. I continued hunting the small area and dug lots more interesting targets.

After breaking for lunch, we decided to hit a small knoll in the park where the Union troops had been set up on. This small knoll has now given up nearly thirty bullets and other artifacts from the Civil War. The previous time I was there I scoured the hill with the X-5 because the targets were so thick and there was a lot of can slaw that needed to be cleaned out. I hunted it until I couldn't get any more signals with the X-5.

This time I swapped out to the stock 11" coil and hunted with an open screen and two tone ferrous to look for any deeper targets. The site came alive again with signals and I proceeded to dig 7 more projectiles including two dropped 58 caliber minie balls, one fired 58 minie ball, a 58 caliber musket ball and three buck balls. Most of the bullets were in the 7-8" range. It was awesome crawling along picking out the tiny blips from all the iron and then recovering a deep bullet that hadn't seen the light of day for over 150 years.

Hey C.Z.

What a Great hunt and your determination is remarkable and is surly paying off. It sounds like you will have a few years of hunting this site and I look forward to your finds.

Keep us posted on the key I have never seen a key like that.

diggervance said:
Hey C.Z.

What a Great hunt and your determination is remarkable and is surly paying off. It sounds like you will have a few years of hunting this site and I look forward to your finds.

Keep us posted on the key I have never seen a key like that.

Thanks DV. I appreciate the kind words. I was telling my friend that we could hunt this place for years to come as it is nearly 30 acres. Heading back there this weekend if all goes to plan.

Man that's awesome! A great variety out of one place. Always a thrill to dig Civil War relics. That button and key is too cool! Way to go on using different coils for different situations, paid off great for ya! Keep it up!

Sooper Dave said:
Man that's awesome! A great variety out of one place. Always a thrill to dig Civil War relics. That button and key is too cool! Way to go on using different coils for different situations, paid off great for ya! Keep it up!

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it. Digging Civil War bullets never gets old.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
It looks like you have a really historic rich site! Nice story too!

Thanks Tony. I love sites where you just never know what the next find is going to be.

cz70pro said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

Thanks Tony. I love sites where you just never know what the next find is going to be.

Yea, me too! I can't wait to get down to where my brother lives in Ohio with my E-trac. In the back yard I found a ring, silver quarter, coppers, Civil War artilary medal, old horse bridal part and other old stuff.
It's places like that that make the hunt all the more enjoyable.
Hats off to you! You have a great site! I'd pound the everloving crap out of it.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
cz70pro said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

Yea, me too! I can't wait to get down to where my brother lives in Ohio with my E-trac. In the back yard I found a ring, silver quarter, coppers, Civil War artilary medal, old horse bridal part and other old stuff.
It's places like that that make the hunt all the more enjoyable.
Hats off to you! You have a great site! I'd pound the everloving crap out of it.

That's what I call a helluva good back yard! haha I loved hunting in Ohio. I am originally from Marietta and that town is an awesome place to hunt.

Heading back out to the park Sunday to pound it some more.