Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bummer

rick in mi

Had a nice break in the weather here in michigan. Drove out to one of my favorit fair grounds only to find a brand new sign sayin no metal detecting on grounds. Whats happening? Second time this year I have seen a sign like this. Our we killing are sport and not awhere of it. Or is some one just being negative to what I call harmless fun?

Rick, we've been lucky here in WV and so far our parks and public areas are still open to metal hunting. Not sure what happens when this no metal hunting policy is posted but it might be worth the time to ask some questions and possibly get these policies reverse. There has been a lot of talk here on the forum about this issue, basically the one side is saying we metal detectors are damaging the property and the other side is saying we have rights to enjoy these areas as much as anyone else.

I feel your pain and dissappointment. Typically, unfilled holes, trash sitting besides plugs, disregard for no trespassing signs and detecting on sensitive or protected sites lead to these signs and worse. I know of areas that are open to "passive recreation" like land trusts that are off limits to detecting. Call me an old fart but the proliferation of people buying metal detectors and catching a fever to dig has contributed to this problem. People new to detecting need to be TAUGHT that certain actions are not permissible and the onus is on them to find out what thier local ordinances are. We are dealing with much of the same in my area and it's a BUMMER. I do not hesitate to talk to people I see detecting in order to determine if they have a clue. Can't tell you how many times I've happened upon people digging a target in a public park with a full length shovel. I can't stress to them enough how damaging it appears regardless of how "neat and careful" they claim to be.
Ok so I resent people mucking up MY good time by thier ignorance.
Yup, I rant :nono:

I can tell when some one is sloppy. I try and do less damage then a squirel diggin nuts! I think it is up to us to teach the newbees the proper way to dig,recover and show respect to the area we are detecting in. I will look into this and find out why they posted this area. hh rick in mi

Hi Rick, good if you can find out why. My comments were general in regards to what I have encountered and not aimed at you. You're likely the victim of someone else's actions or the owners just got hinky.
Good luck!

That's to bad. Would be good to know who and why the "no detecting" sign was put up.

I have an old fairgrounds up in a lake region of Mn that I started hunting on during summer trips up there back in the late 80's. Situated on the edge of a small town and I suspected at the time I was probably the first to seriously hunt it. But that's another story. Probably 7 or 8 year's ago now I was hunting on it one afternoon and a fellow comes driving out right up to me and states, "you can't metal detect on the fairgrounds." I asked him why and who he was. Said he was on the fair board and a lady a while back had been walking her dog out there and twisted her ankle upon stepping in a hole. I pointed out a couple of my filled in holes and stated how un-even the ground was and that there were numerous gopher holes around. He said "we just can't take a chance for fear of getting sued." I didn't argue with him and left. Since there never have been "no detecting" signs put up I have continued to hunt on it each trio up there and have dozens of times since and never again been bothered. That situation, of course, is different then yours since no ban signs have ever gone up. Maybe it's just some sort of mis-understanding.

Hope somehow you are able to get it resolved. HH jim tn