Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Camo gun wrap may not be good for your detectors? :ranting:

khouse

I bought a couple of rolls of Camo gun wrap to protect my etrac. It says it only sticks to its self and is safe for guns and equipment. I mean that sounds good to me? So a year ago I wrapped my etrac up from my arm cuff all the way up the the control head. So it's cold and snowy here so I decided to remove the wrap and do some cleaning on the etrac. Well this tape stuck so hard to my foam grip it ripped and actually removed a layer of the foam off. Also the adhesive stuck to the rest of the machine. So far the only thing that will cut it is alcohol. So the next time I wrap a machine I will put some plastic food wrap on it first. Just letting you all know about my experience.

I've had good luck removing that kind of sticky stuff with two things. A dab of WD-40 on a rag and Orange Glo furniture cleaner. It seems to cut through that gunk faster to get most of it off but you'llstill have to use alcohol or acetone to completely remover the "remover".I once had a shotgun barrel I had to soak in diesel to get that non-stick tape off. :(

Next time try using a heat gun or hi powered hair dryer to soften up the adhesive them peel off as much as you can and then use an oily solvent or goo-off to clean up the rest. Sometimes using the adhesive on duct tape can pick up the more stubborn remaining adhesive.

A heat gun also works great for removing those $%^&*@# car dealer advertising stickers from vehicles.
Just be careful, don't over heat and blister the paint.

I use Veterinarians tape/wrap (can be found at tractor supply in the horse section) it is a stretchy fabric that sticks to itself, never had a problem taking it off. Doesn't leave a residue.

The "stick to itself" grip stuff that I've tried are silicone based (silicone tape) not much sticks to it even glues won't hold. It sticks to itself like crazy though. I was just thinking.... I wonder if the foam grip on your detector is somehow has silicone in it ? Many gaskets and other synthetic rubbers are silicone mixtures. Maybe camo wrap everything BUT the foam grip.

Camo gun wrap works good for removing warts.I bought and wrapped my guns with some off that stuff and had same results as you then went back and read directions said please remove after 6 months to prevent damage.Ooops

You could use Coban made by 3M, Had it on my E-trac all last year. Took it off in November no residue. It had adhered to it's self and I used a small pair of scissors to remove it but it worked great. Also not sure I would wrap it I plastic wrap would solve the residue issue but would worry about trapping any moisture. That got in or developed from temperature change. Can buy the Coban at almost any pharmacy it is primarily a medical wrap. If you want to go with a tape, as a thought I would cut the toe out of a woman's nylon stocking and use that as the barrier, plastic wrap and electronics just scare me. HH Dave

OK, what am I missing?

Why would you want a detector wrapped in camo in the first place? Is it a fashion choice or is there some reason to make it hard to see your detector?

It was only to protect it - not a fashion statement. Of the colors I could have picked the Camo looked the best.

I only wrapped the foam on the handle. Muddy gloves ruin the foam in a hurry, it's for sure not a fashion statement and camo does look the best. I wrap it with saran wrap first. The foam stays looking brand new which helps if you want to sell your detector.

Phillip_in_NM said:
OK, what am I missing?

Why would you want a detector wrapped in camo in the first place? Is it a fashion choice or is there some reason to make it hard to see your detector?

Just speaking for myself I never thought of it as fashion statement but you might be right,It matches my Camo 1911 .45,Camo pants,shirt,back pack,shovel machete,5 gal bucket,camo Garrett pin-pointer,boat, car,sifter,rocker ,dredge,etc,etc.

Whatever I am doing legally or Illegally I find it is best not to draw any attention if possible.Being in Illinois it is best to do all you can not to set yourself up as a potential crime victim,Safety First.I take my detector with me when I hunt,fish,bottle hunt,dig privies,mushroom hunt.I do not want anyone stealing or moving in on my spots.When I get permission to hunt I stay out of sight if I can, out of sight out of mind,Land owners change there minds sometimes less contact the better ,leave no trace.

I night hunt on request of landowners a lot of times.for many reasons.They do not want to get hassled by other people for permission.Do not want anyone in the family knowing he gave permission,nosey neighbors,etc.

I thinking that camo might not be the best thing to use and I need to adjust rightly so mainly hunting near the city.I think dressing my detector making it look like a double barrel shotgun would blend in good up in the hood.Maybe dressing up the area between my coil and the control box as a small kid that way it would look like when I am sweeping it would look like I was swing small kid by his hair I know in some neighbor hoods that would not even generate a second glance.Maybe when hunting a public park I can put a political sign on the shaft saying I am a Democrat I am stealing your money.

I am not picking on you,we make adjustments to go forward here in Illinois because of Chicago politics.but if you are going to hunt a cemetery dress up in a suit and use the white camo tape it makes your detector look like one of the stones.

cadman_us said:
I use Veterinarians tape/wrap (can be found at tractor supply in the horse section) it is a stretchy fabric that sticks to itself, never had a problem taking it off. Doesn't leave a residue.

This is what i use also.Put it on the foam grip an it looks an stays new under it. Works great an cheep.

Been using gun wrap for about a year and a half. Never had an issue. It's so beat up crappy looking before six months are up I remove it and rewrap anyways. Love the stuff!

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking of using! I'm a nurse and we have plenty of it (Coban) at the hospital. The only problem is its beige. Although by the time you get some dirty hands on it I guess it doesn't really matter. I might give it a shot. We end up using a little bit of it from a roll and throw the rest of the roll out. It's very wasteful.

Speaking for myself I wouldn't wrap anything in camo that wasn't used for hunting. A friend bought a fancy camo phone cover. While he was hunting he dropped his phone. He searched to no avail. He finally ended up getting another phone and roaming the woods for a couple hours calling his number until he found his phone. If you search wooded areas you may lay your macine down and have a hard time finding it. there is a lot to say for high visibility.