Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can a detector erase a signal?

Ronstar

Ever discover a repeatable iffy signal and as you go around the circle trying to get a better read it just disappears?? This has happened a few times to me with both the F75 and now the Legend. It makes no logical sense that a low frequency could erase a signal but in all cases I was trying to confirm a deep dime signal. Could silver have a “sensitive” halo? By that I mean if the depth is on the fringe could it get disrupted and simply go away?
Thought I would see if anyone else has ever experienced this or has an answer.

My advise would be sure there is a signal there to start with running your normal pattern you could have a false your working then again the emi might change at that time hiding the signal .But all you have to do is go to pinpoint mode and verify there is a target to start with . sube (y)

Detector may be ground balancing it out. The mxt had “ground grab” so it would not balance the signal out while pinpointing (I think) not being real familiar with legend as I’d like to be I would put in all metal or pinpoint to locate

Detector may be ground balancing it out. The mxt had “ground grab” so it would not balance the signal out while pinpointing (I think) not being real familiar with legend as I’d like to be I would put in all metal or pinpoint to locate
That was my first thought. I quickly disabled any auto GB features long ago, and only do manual ground balances. Been doing it that way for 10 years straight now. I do firmly believe that an auto GB can tune out a target.

Legend manual states GB not necessary but one can do a manual, it also has tracking so adjusts to the ground as you go. The disappearing act seems most prevalent in and or near the EMI area. I have raised the coil to see if pinpointing high still gives a signal but it does not. In fact if I can get any type of pinpoint signal and raise even slightly the audio goes away. I have dug as deep as 10-12 inches with no Garrett carrot reaction as well. On the Legend if I do initial pinpoint to locate center of the object I get a low growly sound which I’ve figured out is on the fringe of detection so I know its in the 8-10” area. Funny thing is when it disappears I can come back and there is still nothing.
Next idea is to simply start digging regardless of iffy and see what happens and no circling, just dive in.

One of the reasons I always use manual ground balance is because it doesn't mask weak signals.

Legend manual states GB not necessary but one can do a manual, it also has tracking so adjusts to the ground as you go. The disappearing act seems most prevalent in and or near the EMI area. I have raised the coil to see if pinpointing high still gives a signal but it does not. In fact if I can get any type of pinpoint signal and raise even slightly the audio goes away. I have dug as deep as 10-12 inches with no Garrett carrot reaction as well. On the Legend if I do initial pinpoint to locate center of the object I get a low growly sound which I’ve figured out is on the fringe of detection so I know its in the 8-10” area. Funny thing is when it disappears I can come back and there is still nothing.
Next idea is to simply start digging regardless of iffy and see what happens and no circling, just dive in.
That is not how hi-rise pinpointing is done but........... ok.... have it your way.....your detector.....your learning process.

Ive had signals disappear on me once I’ve disturbed the ground. Usually I cut 3 sides and hinge the plug upside down, (works for me as my cut may not be perfectly straight and often I can just flip it back over and step on edges to make it look decent)
Anyway I’ve had them disappear also, and since I’m the only one working two counties that I’ve seen, I can always go back and check it at a later date. I just stick a colored golf tee in the ground. And leave it

I'm far from having enough experience to advise on these subjects ,,, but seems I read about this similar situation on one of these forums,, and someone mentioned stomping on the ground over the target ,, they said it might break up that halo effect . Give it a shot and verify that if ya get a chance .

That is not how hi-rise pinpointing is done but........... ok.... have it your way.....your detector.....your learning process.
None of us newbies know what you’re talking about…”hi-rise pinpointing”. I’ve been at this for 10+ years and 3-4 thousand hours in the field, thousands more on forums and several friends I’ve hunted with…I have never heard the term. And since I have no idea who “Jeff” is…care to elaborate on exactly what “hi-rise pinpointing” is and how it’s done along with its purported usefulness in identifying what might possibly be a deep dime?

None of us newbies know what you’re talking about…”hi-rise pinpointing”. I’ve been at this for 10+ years and 3-4 thousand hours in the field, thousands more on forums and several friends I’ve hunted with…I have never heard the term. And since I have no idea who “Jeff” is…care to elaborate on exactly what “hi-rise pinpointing” is and how it’s done along with its purported usefulness in identifying what might possibly be a deep dime?
Nope.......Not this time Kevin.

Ever discover a repeatable iffy signal and as you go around the circle trying to get a better read it just disappears?? This has happened a few times to me with both the F75 and now the Legend. It makes no logical sense that a low frequency could erase a signal but in all cases I was trying to confirm a deep dime signal. Could silver have a “sensitive” halo? By that I mean if the depth is on the fringe could it get disrupted and simply go away?
Thought I would see if anyone else has ever experienced this or has an answer.
It’s happened to me and because of it I lost a few targets, very frustrating. If you are going over the target too many times a machine might tune out that target. It doesn’t see it anymore. I know this is true because on one target I went over it again the next day and got the reading then dug it up. Another time someone said to me they lost a target and if I find it I could have it - I did find it standing straight up on the side of the hole.

Now makes me wonder if this is why I find stuff Jeff missed and vice versa? Im more apt now to simply dig if I get any signal regardless if repeatable or not. IF, I can pinpoint it then maybe I can get close enough to get direction once in, it only takes a minute to dig and cover back up!