Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can someone pass along some good settings they recommend for coin hunting (old silver and large coppers).

MikeO

Staff member
My son has a Eqiunox 800. I’m an Explorer user with no hands on experience with his machine.
I was hoping someone might have some recommendations on settings for coin hunting primarily old silver and old copper coins I can print and give to him.

Thanks Findmall friends. 👍

Hi Mike,
I have had tremendous results with the following settings:

Park1
GB-0
50 tones
Recovery speed 3 or 4 max
Sensitivity minimum of 23
Iron bias F2-0
Scan slow just like the explorer and if there are coins there, he will find them.
Best of luck to you and your son.

Same here I use 5 tones and switch between park1 and field 2 recovery is based on how trashy the area is
I've used up to 7 but mostly 4-5 and I always use no discrimination ,
Mark

I use the same settings as JimmyCT and have done really well since I got my 800 in late 2019.
I use some disc. But only up to 8.
Everything above that is accepted.

I run basically the same settings as @JimmyCT and @Mark kus. P1 recovery 3-5 never above 5 and keep the swing slow, bias F2 0 and hot as I can run hardly ever below 21. No discrimination. Normally no ground balance. I never use tracking ground balance. 5 tones. 5 or 50 tones depends on the person. People like 50 because it can be tighter on an item. That really doesn't matter to me. If it hits in a vdi range or even with no vdi but sounds"good" I'm digging it. If I get skunked in an area or park I may go back over in Field 2 a little quicker with bias F2 at 2 and recovery at 5. I try different things. If I get a target I might bounce through other settings to see is I can still pick up or pick up stronger and make mental notes.

If you hunt in iron saltwater mix you can not just listen for the good tones I dig so many crappy signals on my river spot lead will sound just like a silver coin I don’t care what I do to my settings.
I can bring people here that know their detector inside and out and they would have a hard time finding some of the coins that I’m finding unless you dig those very tough iffy signals I dig almost everything in this spot.
Good luck lots of good info here on this site and guys that will give great input …
Mark

Thanks to everyone who offered my son some advice (and me too).
He went ahead and tried JimmyCT settings in my sons 1952 built house just so he could get the hang of the settings.
He wasn’t really expecting to find much but, did manage some zincolns which where like 22-25 range, one wheatie, and a 64 Silver dime which was bouncing around 28-30.
I swung it and was impressed by its weight and how quick the processor seemed to be although I did miss the SmartFind screen. Although I could get by without it. The X1 probe I really missed compared to the Garrett pinpointer but, then again I didn’t miss the added weight. Everything’s a trade off I reckon but, since I’m no spring chicken anymore I think less weight wins.

Thanks again fellas

Attachments

• 22E515B9-9437-43B2-AF0C-448674FBE267.jpeg
    22E515B9-9437-43B2-AF0C-448674FBE267.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 476F3358-54A8-44B5-AE55-E646E9567B96.jpeg
    476F3358-54A8-44B5-AE55-E646E9567B96.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 90
MikeO weight and balance is a huge part of any detector I now buy. I hate to admit it but it is even more important than depth. I'm 86 and it means 30 min. of detecting vs. 3 hours.
Have you trie3d the Detector Buddy, sling? I use on all my detectors puts the weight on your shoulder. I use them in the water also, when you bend down the detector lowers and when you stand up it pops up right into your hand