Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

can you hunt historical sites in Kentucky?

pointer80

I was watching the diggers show about the Hatfield's and McCoys and they showed a pic of them with a historical site sign in the background? It was where the hog trial took place. Maybe that site was on private property? Anyone know that answer

pointer80 said:
I was watching the diggers show about the Hatfield's and McCoys and they showed a pic of them with a historical site sign in the background? It was where the hog trial took place. Maybe that site was on private property? Anyone know that answer

I was born in kentucky, and i live here now. And this state is one of the worse states to metal detect in. In my opinion they do not support metal detecting.

pointer,

If you know where the site is, ask. Call the courthouse, see if it is federal or state land. In Illinois, they have a historical marker on the highway, where something old and big took place. Can't remember what. You can hunt, if it is private land with permission.

Some bad mouth Illinois, but years ago, I was told by the Forest Service that I could detect, except where the lincoln douglas debate took place. In Missouri, the Forest Serivce is all Nazi about detecting.

so, do some research, it may pay off

pointer80, when it concerns private property, yes, you can detect till your hearts content, as that is under the control of the property owner, and they can do whatever the heck they want with their own land.

But as it concerns public property "in Kentucky", you do not say which level of land you are referring to. Because public land can be divided into federal, state, county, and city. All levels of which will have various land in each state. Right? So your question is too broad.

And let's assume, for sake of argument, that you meant state level land (as opposed to city level, county level, and federal level). Kentucky is one of the state's that got a simple "no", on the FMDAC's state-by-state list , and had the reputation of getting some purist archies in the university there, to propose even stricter cr*p, and making some very anti-md'ing statements that got picked up by the press, and repeated on many forums as a "sky is falling" lament from md'rs.

But let's assume, for sake of argument, that in fact, state-of-Kentucky state parks really were off-limits (just for sake of discussion here), that STILL would have no bearing on county and city level lands, which have their OWN rules, for their OWN parks and schools. In other words, simply because county and city are within states, does not mean that, therefore, state rules subrograte down to parks and school and beaches and such that are city and county. PARK RULES DIFFER ALL THE TIME from location to location. For example, one park closes at sunset, while another allows over-night camping. One allows dogs off leash, while the other requires leashes. One allows fireworks, while another doesn't, etc... So simply because the state of Kentucky may have gotten this reputation (d/t some links to some archie statements there), ONLY has bearing on state level lands, not other types of land within the state.

And there is another thing to remember: the FMDAC list (which gives a simple "no", in the kentucky column) ONLY applies to state parks. You have to remember, that "park" land is only one form of the entity's land. In other words, there's lots of state land, that isn't necessarily a "park" of theirs. For example: state road right-of-ways (as roads extend out for various distances from the edge of the pavement, for walking strips, utilities, etc...). Those are not "parks", but are still state land. And so on, and so forth, not all state owned land is "parks". And the point of the list (way back when, when it was assembled decades ago) was inquiries sent out to the park's dept there, and didn't necessarily pertain to every other speck of land (be it other types state land, or county or city land within that state).

Therefore, if you are skittish and wondering about city and county land, wherever you may happen to be (parks, schools, etc...), do NOT think that the way to determine, is to go ask "can I?". Although you may think (and even carefully phrase) your question would mean they'd have to cite an actual law or rule, to tell you "no", yet that's not often how it works out. There's no shortage of md'rs who get an answer of "no you can't". And the desk-bound bureaucrat will simply morph something else to apply to your "pressing question". You know, like don't disturb the earthworms, or whatever. When truth-be-told, perhaps they'd never given the matter though, nor would ever have cared.

So then rather than risk the "no one cared till you asked" psychology, here's the better way: Look up the rules for yourself. If you see nothing there specifically saying "no metal detectors", well then PRESTO! It must not be prohibited. But I mean, still use discretion, be discreet (since anyone can gripe about anything). I mean, don't go waltzing over beach blankets at an archie's convention, etc.... simply because you found no rule saying no detectors.

n/t

Thanks all, I guess my biggest worry is that all the new comers to the hobby that watch the diggers are going to think they can hunt anywhere and give detecting a bad name and get even more rules and regs. applied to the hobby. I wish they would just explain a little better on the show about that end of it. HH.

Well, ask yourself: what is it (ie.: how would you phrase) the "explanation of a little better" at the end of the show? I'm afraid that if something like "inquire [or know] of all your local laws" would be interpretted by some (as has so often been the case), for people to go in to city or county hall, wherever they may be, and start asking "can I?" type questions. And then what ends up happening, is equally as bad for our hobby: Newbies getting a "no", where ...... no one ever cared or gave the matter thought before (simply because it's the easy answer from a desk-bound bureaucrat who morphs something else to apply to your question).

I suppose such an "explanation" at the end of the show, could try to go deeper, and tell people to "look up rules for yourself, if in doubt" (to stop the above self-fulfilling loop to occur), but odds are, they couldn't go this deep into it, in the time allowed. Or persons would simply ask themselves "well gee, I *could* look up the rules for myself, as the show is saying to do, but I'll just save time, and go ask at city hall" (thinking that the clerk will have to say "go ahead", unless there were an actual rule or law saying "no".). But too often, this is NOT what ends up happening, and then you end up getting scrutiny, ONLY because you went groveling, when there might never have been any rules or anyone to have cared.

So on the one hand, I feel your pain, knowing this show might cause people to run out and tromp on senstive historic sites, or whatever, without knowing the laws. But on the other hand, if the show were to get into that level of detail, there's only so much that can be said, and by planting that fear (of what if's, and legal scares) in people's minds, can sometimes just be the vicious circle I allude to above.