Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canadian Half Penny Bank Token 1844

hunter_46356

Spent a few hours today at the same place I found the Draped Bust a few days ago. Not there very long and dug what I thought was going to be another LC. It was only 4" to 5" deep. I'm having a hard time believing I may have stumbled on one of the few Pioneer French Trading Post from back in the day. There were several that dotted the local area near what use to be one of the Nations largest marsh. The Grand Kankakee River Marsh. Kind of beside my self right now. Gotta take this all in. These recent finds don't happen to me often.

Holy Bleep! :surprised: You are gonna be working that place this weekend I hope? I look forward to what you may pull out of there next! I bet you wont get much sleep tonight...could be a bag of gold in there, or a massive silver spill! I hope you find it and report back! Excellent!:clapping:
Mud

Crapola! You gone and found yourself a hot spot!! Nice coin!! If you need any help let me know :rofl:

Great job, this is better than reading a treasure magazine. Keep up the good work and I will stay tuned in to see what you find next

and the soil was easy on that one , looks so cool in the dirt pile you can just tell its old . that will get you going

Congrats on a great find !

I found one just like it a few years ago - mine is dated 1838 and it's not in as good of condition as your's.

Great find. Dont it just feel good getting out after winter. Look what you found... KEN

kaolinwasher said:
and the soil was easy on that one , looks so cool in the dirt pile you can just tell its old . that will get you going

Does it seem like places with grey colored soil are really easy on coppers but where the soil is more reddish they come out really toasted? Could this be due to iron content? :nerd: :shrug:

-pete

Actually the pic does not render the true soil color. It's really black in this spot. The site is on a ridge covered in old growth white oak. Soil changes from black sandy loam to sandy clay the further off the ridge.I agree PSS soil composition probably has everything to do with condition of buried coins beyond normal wear.
This particular geographic ridge feature crosses the whole county. Back until about 1920 the pronounced elevation change was the northern boundary of the Grand Kankakee Marsh. Around that time was when a series of ditches were completed and the draining of half a million acres of marsh land began. Literally hundreds of island use to dot this marsh too. I've recently found a reprint of an old document describing over seventy locations and so called islands that were located in and around the marsh. Now just got to find the spots on current maps, see if the location has not been leveled to create agricultural farm land, see who owns it now, and convince them I'm not some nutcase with a metal detector trying to find a buried treasure on their property. Simple Right? In total at this spot I've found the two coins nothing more current as far a coinage. Over thirty shotshell heads, some dating to the early 1900's according the Turtlefoots data base. I found another shell case this wknd. that by dimension should be a 455 Webley pistol cartridge. and a strange button pin thing that maybe the members can help me out with.

The 2nd pic is a soda bottle stopper off a Hutchinson style soda bottle...they were used from about 1890s to i think very early 1900s... i you google Hutchinson soda bottle you will see what im talking about...

Found the same one just 1842, two years ago. Pretty cool token don't ya think?