Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can't the 'Nox tell the difference between a zinc penny and a Dime?

Headed to my first field trial. I've hunted this property with an AT-PRO, NOKTA, MX SPORT. . Mostly CW fatties. A couple of good targets with the Nox would be surprising

On the beach I say "if it's 20; it's a penny" (zinc)

Old (brass? Bronze?) pennies usually ring higher as said above.

I also get 20-21 for copper and just today 20-24 wound up to be a giant aluminum hose clamp.

John; please tell us how it goes.....

Headed to my first field trial. I've hunted this property with an AT-PRO, NOKTA, MX SPORT. . Mostly CW fatties. A couple of good targets with the Nox would be surprising

You may very well be surprised if you go back to previous sites that you’ve detected with other machines and use the Equinox.
The very first day in took my Equinox out for the dry first time, in went to a site that has been searched many, many times with many , many machines and within the first 10-15 minutes I got a very clear repeating signal showing 19-20.
I dug down about 5” or so and pulled out a 1909 wheat penny with about a three inch nail in the hole.... talk about being surprised.... I was in awe!!
Have done this at other previously hunted sites also!!
So don’t be surprised if you are surprised!!!
Good luck!!

The Lincoln cent 1981 and earlier are copper and will give basically the same number as a dime.
Some 1982 cents are copper others are zinc. All cents after 1982 are zinc, pure junk. These will give a VDI lower than the copper cent. Usually about 19 to 21 unless found on the beach, a cruddy beach penny can come in much lower.

Keep in mind that most are referring to air tests of coins and things can be very different in the field and, particularly, in salt water. Today in 4 hrs I saw cents run from 14 - 26. Depends on complex relations among orientation, salt concentration, black sand, nearby artifacts, deposits, cent corrosion (esp zincs), surface pitting/corrosion, etc. But generally, the Equinox 800 does an ok job at coin (1, 10, 25) discrimination under working conditions. I find nickels to be the most stable in the 12-14 tight range in salt water environment.

I have discovered that the Zincolns come in lower 20-21-22 (corroded ones come in even lower).

One way i distinguish them is that the zincolns will give off a high tone as you wiggle off of them and it picks up the copper shell. They will also bounce up to 23/24 when they do that.

I have dug quite a few deep corroded zincolns that were coming up 19/20 hoping they were Indians, but have learned to listen for the high tone as I wiggle off them.

HH