Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cape Cod Finds

Mat in MA

I've posted this elsewhere, but this is for the MXT crowd.

My wife and I went to a few beaches on Cape Cod last month and I brought along my MXT. My best find was our second day out in the dry sand. I'd found a few coins plus the usual junk then got a nice hit. I recovered it and gave it to my wife. I didn't even look at it. I saw it was shiney and though it to be a silver ring.

When we got home I saw the 950 mark inside and I thought it was 95% silver. I was wrong. the 950 mark indicated that it was a Platinum ring. A first for me. I was really stoked.

The ring has a small hole drilled through it as if someone was wearing it on a very thin chain. With a chain that thin it's no wonder it broke. I feel bad for the person that lost it, but then again I feel good that I found it. The MXT has got to be the best machine I have ever used at the beach, expecially in dry sand.

[attachment 246182 950ringmark.jpg]

That's a nice one.:thumbup:
Congrats on your first Plat.

Cool ring.

I haven't got around to taking my MXT to the beach yet, but after reading your post I will be sure to pack it on my next trip.

Congratulations

Congrats! Chalk another awesome find for the MXT! I wonder why someone bothered to drill the hole? If its for a chain, they would have to run the chain through without a clasp and solder it on afterwards. After the trouble of that I don't see the difference in just using the original hole in the ring, you know, the one for a finger to fit in. The drilled hole did not rotate the ring, the only advantage I can think of, because you would have to drill 2 holes to make the ring lay flat instead of on its edge.

Aarong81 said:
Congrats! Chalk another awesome find for the MXT! I wonder why someone bothered to drill the hole? If its for a chain, they would have to run the chain through without a clasp and solder it on afterwards. After the trouble of that I don't see the difference in just using the original hole in the ring, you know, the one for a finger to fit in. The drilled hole did not rotate the ring, the only advantage I can think of, because you would have to drill 2 holes to make the ring lay flat instead of on its edge.

Yes, BIG congratulations. I'm with Aarong81. The hole doesn't make any sense and I'm an avid jewelry wearer. :drool: That's so strange that there's a hole in it. I wish we knew why because this has really got me puzzled. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Did you weigh it? It looks to be a good weight.

Again, congrats and HH,

Nancy

It weighs in at 4 grams.

I've heard of a pawn shop drilling holes in larger gold bullion bars to confirm the center was not lead or another type of metal. I wonder if this was drilled to check for metal content in the center. It may have been sold for Platinum weight which is at $1670.00 an ounce. That makes this ring worth $236 in weight. Thats the only reason I can think of for the hole.

:thumbup: Cool.

Now that makes sense. I couldn't understand why the hole. :shrug: HH, Nancy

Hello again,

For all of you who were curious about the hole in the plat ring I found, I think I have an answer. I used my jewlers loop (16x) to take a good look at this hole. If you look at the close up photo I took you will see that the hole is not the same size on both ends of the ring which leads me to believe it was not a regular drill. The hole on the under side has a shorter diameter which tells me that there must have been a stone setting of some kind in this ring. It's too bad it wasn't in the ring when I found it.

I can't think of any other reason for that type hole being there. Does anyone have any other ideas?

One last thing. The ring is fairly shiney now, but is there anything to clean platinum that will make it sparkle?

[attachment 246406 platringhole.jpg]

That makes more sense as to the hole. Also platinum should always stay sparkly shiny unless it's brushed, but still have a bright shine. This has a lot of pits in it also. Strange, very strange.

I talked to a coin dealer which takes in jewelry also and she said she has never heard of drilling a hole. :shrug: Are you sure it's platinum? HH, Nancy