Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Carbon fiber shafts worth the $$$??

The equinox shaft is nothing to brag over. But it's also not unusable. Is upgrading to carbon a HUGE improvement? I see a few brands out there. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim

I really like mine. I got it from Steve Goss at Steve’s detector rods. I ordered it with the counterweight. The counterweight makes a big difference in how the Equinox handles. It balances so much better, it feels like a completely different detector with the counterweight.

I agree with Jeff. The carbon fiber especially with the counter weight to offset the coil weight really help the fatigue on your wrist and arm.
Since I got mine about a month ago my Detecting time when I go has really increased and 4 hrs I was done and now I go believe it or not is 6-8 hrs.
Not only dose the counterweight help balance out the coil and with being able to adjust the amount weight.. And another advantage that I accidentally figured out is with the counter weight I am allowed to extend my shaft length so I can have a bigger sweep path which allowed me to cover a much wider swing when I’m on the beach and with Steve’s there is no pin to adjust because you have infinite adjustment with his clamp system. Steve’s system is top quality and much better in looks compared to the stock Minelab one.
If at times you don’t want to use the counter weight al, you have to do is un screw it and is easy to do and it is attached with fine machine threads. Top quality.

Doug

Short answer is yes they are worth it..
Mark

Worth it to me, I had to switch hands before the carbon fibre rod. So as above, I can detect longer with much less pain. If you are a yung brute you may not feel you need this. With the counter weight, is is actually almost the same weight as stock but the balance is perfect. In fact I spoke with Steve Goss several times and even mocked a counter weight on my stock rod with velcro and a water bottle. It does allow you to extend the shaft some but to the limit of whatever counterweight is attached. Did I HAVE t have it? No but am glad I sprung the $$. Only question is warranty if I need to send it back but figured they only ask for the control and coil anyway.I can swap that old section of the rod when or hopefully if I need to return it for work.

Calabash and colonel Dan's post covered this in great detail, the post are back about one page checkem out!!
HH Jeff

hammer0419 said:
The equinox shaft is nothing to brag over. But it's also not unusable. Is upgrading to carbon a HUGE improvement? I see a few brands out there. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim

I would not hunt with out one at the beach, regardless of the brand.

Dave

I just ordered the DETECT-ED in RED should be in soon.
I think it is worth it to get rid of the wobble feeling.

midalake said:
hammer0419 said:

Jim

I would not hunt with out one at the beach, regardless of the brand.
That was my main reason I made one before they became more available bought a clamp from Steve he makes a great shaft.

Dave

Hears one thing I learned.
When using the detector in water with the 11” coil I do not use the counter weight because it is hard to keep the coil down close to the bottom and with the 6” the same.
But on land with the 6” very little weight but with the 11” I use one bag inside the counter weight and if I extend my shaft longer for doing large beaches I add weight to compensate for the longer shaft and doing that allows me to make a wider swing pattern to cover more area. That’s what is so nice about Steve’s counter weight , you just unscrew the end cap and add the shot bags. And for water use you just unscrew the counter weight completely.
This is how I do it..

Doug

When it comes to "worth it" that is pretty subjective and ones finances and preferences largely dictate the answer. I bought from Steves early and don't regret it a bit. I was not unhappy with the stock shaft. I think it is way better than some of Minelabs other stock shafts (Excal? I have 3 rotting away). Steve did a great job and it is a clearly better product design and not mass produced. For me it was "worth it".

pasttom said:
When it comes to "worth it" that is pretty subjective and ones finances and preferences largely dictate the answer. I bought from Steves early and don't regret it a bit. I was not unhappy with the stock shaft. I think it is way better than some of Minelabs other stock shafts (Excal? I have 3 rotting away). Steve did a great job and it is a clearly better product design and not mass produced. For me it was "worth it".
i agree , I spend a lot of hours detecting and I don’t think I could do it at my age and I think it really helps me.
Also Steve’s carbon fiber shafts really look sharp compared to the drab look of the stock shaft and you go from three shafts to two so the wobble is gone and the quality is awesome.

Doug

[size=medium]I like the idea of the quick release shaft handle clamp that I've seen. Looks to be made with a 3-D printer, though. Makes me question it's structural integrity. I'd prefer it be molded.[/size]

Daddy said:
[size=medium]I like the idea of the quick release shaft handle clamp that I've seen. Looks to be made with a 3-D printer, though. Makes me question it's structural integrity. I'd prefer it be molded.[/size]

Forgot to mention that is also extremely expensive, IMO.

Daddy said:

Daddy --

I can't speak for any other brands, but I would like to confirm that my clamping cam lock is injection-molded, and extremely heavy-duty. 3-D printing was not an option, in my judgment, and you obviously feel the same way. I wanted heavy duty, and in my opinion, that CLEARLY dictates injection-molding.

Thank you all, for the very kind words and comments on my shafts. As I have said a number of times, there's nothing I like better than pleasing customers, and -- in the case of the counterweight, to help make hunts longer, and more comfortable.

Thanks, all!

Steve

[attachment 369162 redblack1small.jpg]

[attachment 369163 redblack2small.jpg]

[attachment 369164 cam1closedsmallrot.jpg]

sgoss66 said:
Daddy said:

Daddy --

I can't speak for any other brands, but I would like to confirm that my clamping cam lock is injection-molded, and extremely heavy-duty. 3-D printing was not an option, in my judgment, and you obviously feel the same way. I wanted heavy duty, and in my opinion, that CLEARLY dictates injection-molding.

Thank you all, for the very kind words and comments on my shafts. As I have said a number of times, there's nothing I like better than pleasing customers, and -- in the case of the counterweight, to help make hunts longer, and more comfortable.

Thanks, all!

Steve

Steve, I'm referring to a quick release that secures the control box/handle to the shaft. Great idea, but pretty pricey at nearly $60. Nothing to do with your excellent shaft offerings. :thumbup: