Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Carbon Fiber Shafts

lovee-1

Has anyone with Carbon Fiber Shafts ever drilled into it to attach a Sun Ray Meter or a Probe.?...I am worried with the Carbon Fiber being like Fiberglass it might crack or frey when installing Pop Rivets or after lots of use...I have been thinking of keeping part of my Original Metal Upper Shaft and just using my Lower Two Piece Carbon Shafts but would prefer all Carbon Fiber....Please let me know....Thanks.! ....John

I would think that after drilling it and making the hole, you could coat the hole with epoxy before installing a rivet or bolt to prevent the fibers from fraying and freezing it into place. I have a carbon fiber shaft on the Excal, but never drilled it, but that is what I would do if it appeared to be a problem.

I've had carbon fiber for about 4 years now, made my own shaft, drilled holes and no problem with degrading of the exposed area still. But wear gloves and a mask when drilling. I did not wear gloves and my hands itched for days. Later to only find out from a friend who was trained in the use of carbon fiber that the small fibers are very slippery/sharp and can slip into your skin then possibly into your blood stream and damage your heart.

I have read of folks that worked in archery shops where they cut carbon fiber arrows to length having problems with their lungs. As OBN said carbon fibers can cause a number of problems.

I have been wanting to order a full length one piece carbon shaft from ANDERSON DETECTORS but not sure what exact length I need... I am 6' 2" tall... any suggestions ???

I got the Anderson extra long CF shaft. I like it because it balances out right at the handle. I'm not as tall as you. I would suggest that you consider an extra long lower shaft since you're about 6" taller than me.