Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cast Iron Frying Pan Best Find

Prep1957

Found 1946 Rosie and old 16 gauge shell no paper left unfired all them small shot really drove Garret Pinpointer nuts first time finding shot shell like that.Best find was small frying pan only got out for two hours to hunt all weekend.I have 143 pounds of lead I have found with Safari think I will take to scrap yard and see what it is worth.

Cool finds Prep. Never found an unfired shotgun shell. That frying pan is unusual for sure. Must have been part of a doll's play set. Let us know about the lead. I give mine to another hunter that makes sinkers for fishing.
Bunker

Hey Prep. Can you see any letters inside the frying pan? These were often used as novelty advertising pieces from a hardware or department store.

Brookie

No it is too rusted but I found a cast iron pot and bucket about same size tonite with 1 inch glass Borden Milk Bottle in same hole with a few marbles under same tree will look inside them when I get them cleaned.

These cleaned up better nothing on them to see where they are from are a lot heavier than frying pan, little milk bottle cleaned up good found little silver ring tonight.

Those will make a nice display Prep. Thanks for the pix.
Bunker

Prep1957
I just posted this on the Sovereign forum for Gunnar.
The formula works well and can be made up in smaller quantities, just keep the water molasses ratio about 10:1

Get an old plastic trash can and fill it with about 10 gallons of water.
Go down to the local animal feed store and get a couple of quarts of horse feed molasses
Mix the molasses into the water and add a bit of yeast, or a can of beer, or a couple of slices of bread. Any of those will do, but the yeast is quickest.
Put the lid onto the trash can and forget about it for a week or so, by which time it will be fermenting well with a scum developing on top.
Now all you have to do is immerse your iron or steel object in the solution. Make sure it is completely under the liquid.
The process is gentle and somewhat slow, but after a week or two, depending on the amount of corrosion, pull it out and hose it off and give it a good scrub with a wire brush or similar.
The black deposit will come off fairly easy, if not put it back into the brew for another week or so.
Do the brushing off outside wearing old clothes as the black residue will stain and the stain is permanent.
Interestingly the black deposit is almost identical to the printers ink used for printing in the early 1900s.
When done properly the iron/steel object will be perfectly clean, it will look just like it has been sand blasted.
The object will in fact be so clean that you can see the oxygen in the air attacking the surface. You will see the surface becoming orange with a film of rust before your eyes.
To prevent further rusting or oxidization, brush a coat of rust converter or phosphoric acid solution over the surface and it will not rust again if kept under cover.

This process is used by people restoring old cars and motorcycles in Australia and I guess other parts of the world. It is particularly handy for de-rusting small difficult to get at things like inside petrol and oil tanks.
It is important to fully immerse objects as you will get severe pitting at the air/liquid interface otherwise.
The brew lasts for months if not years.

Best of luck

Pete downunder

Thanks Birdseed will have to try sounds like a lot of fun to make, took picture after I cleaned them up, next morning they had rusted during the night in my house.will have to do something to preserve them my wife likes them, go figure.Trying to run Safari in Cache Hunting Mode finding all kinds of large iron objects trying to run sensitivity lower to Disc size of iron object.Anyone need window weight.