Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chatham Pier, Cape Cod

Ron J

I visit Cape Cod a couple times a year. I have Family that resides in Provincetown, since the late 1800's. I also have strong interest in Life Saving Stations, Coast Guard Stations and Lightships. All of which either were or still exist. I enjoy visiting the locations, and photographing what remains at each location. What your are viewing here, is Chatham Pier. The Chatham Coast Guard Station, along with Chatham Lighthouse are a 10 minute ride from this location. However the Coast Guard docks two 42' rescue vessels at this dock. However the vessel you are viewing has a lot of historical interest behind it.
This vessel is the 36500. 36= 36 foot in length. 500 is production sequence. Which makes it the first 36 footer due to the sequence began at 500. The 36500 was the Search and Rescue boat for Chatham Station for many years. The Orleans Historical Society owns her. She is decommissioned Coast Guard Vessel. The OHS has restored her many times.
Anyone aware of Coast Guard history, or from the Cape, would certainly know her past. In 1952, a Nor'easter hit New England, during which it caused havoc. The storm split two Tankers in half, off the coast of Cape Cod, with in hours of each other. A Coast Guardsman, Bernie Webber, and three other seaman from the Chatham Station, located one of the Tankers, during the raging storm and rescued 32 men from the Stern section of the Pendleton. This rescue is known to be the greatest small boat rescue in the Coast Guard.

If you would like to know more, Read 'The Pendleton Disaster'. or soon there will be a movie out, which is in process of being filmed this past year.
Sorry to write so much...I know this is more a photography forum, than historical forum. It is important to know, there is a story behind each photo.
Rj :usaflag:

That sure looks to be cold, cold weather, almost too cold for me. :lol: :lol: Clarification: Yes this is a photo forum, and it is acceptable to include a story of explanation such as the one that you just posted. This is especially true when the pictures are of a historical nature, where the story enhances the pictures, brings out the beauty of the pictures.

Ron, you put a lot of effort into this Post, it was appreciated and most enjoyable...Thank you! :clapping: Kelley (Texas) :)

Rj, Please don't be sorry, I loved reading about the pictures and the history. Breathtaking photos. Thank you for posting them. What a beautiful vessel also. I really miss the boating excursions from the past. I could live on the water.

Lovely pics,the black and white photo adds something special.......black and white photos have got my attention at the moment and its great to see people posting them.Trouble is,every time I try to take them they don't seem to have the same impact as looking at everybody elses.......i'll keep trying though..........thanks for the inspiration.