Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

check your detecting footwear

coenwolf

a long lost distant memory came back to me today ,one i knew about years ago and had forgotten about .for the last few weeks detecting i have been wearing a lovely sturdy pair of walking boots for comfort and durability .today i was plagued with a lot of falsing and weird behaviour which jogged my memory .
anyone can do this test its easy take off your normal detecting boots or shoes and run your pin point probe over the sole ,yep you guessed it a lot of modern boots are made with a metal strengthening bar in the insole you can't see it or feel it but i'm 99% certain the machine CAN your literally walking along with two big steel magnetic field generating implements stuck on the end of your legs .
i now remember when we realised this a few years ago everyone that got clean of metal shoes improved there finds rate right away .
DO TRY THIS AT HOME ,YOU'LL BE SURPRISED

I specifically purchased composite toe work boots for this reason, no metal what so ever, not even in the eyelets. Great tip for folks to consider.

Yes indeed. I remember the days going around in circles chasing signals. No metal in my boots now though. I'm just glad, at least for now, that I don't have to replace all those metal fillings in my teeth. That would be some frustrating hunting. :rofl:

Yea I use to carry a pair of shoes in my truck because I had to wear steel toes at work.
Steep,beep,steep,beep,on and on.lol

Well founded advice. I recently bought a new pair of hiking boots that I have worn the last two times detecting. My detector was acting up and after five hours of chirping, I realized it was my new boots. I have my detector shaft shortened to lessen the weight and I am within a foot of my feet while swinging. Once I figured out the problem, the detector was perfect. By the way, the detector is a Minelab Safari. Had an Etrac several years back and it did the same thing.

Take the PP shopping as the sales people often misinform customers about metal inserts. Along that line a few decades ago I was allowed to keep my shoes on in a MRI since I was 'assured' there was no metal in them at purchase. WRONG!
I never metal detect in those!

A lot of footwear is still made with a steel shank and can cause some chirping if one is prone to swing the coil not to far in front of ones foot. I also wear Merrell Moabs, a hiker style, and never have a problem. And they are very comfortable and durable. HH jim tn

Yea I have to carry my scoop over shoulder with cz-20,waist high won't cut it,still beeps.