Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chinese/japanese? knife needs translated

Aarong81

A friend shared these pics and asked if I could find out anything about this wooden knife with a metal blade. It has an inscription in probably either chinese or japanese. Does anyone know if there is a forum that offers translations like this? I know there are plenty of sites that translate but I have no idea how to enter characters I can't even tell what they are? They all look like outhouses with a goat in it or something. LOL
Or maybe someone here recognizes the language this is written in and I can look for a translating service from there. Thanks!

DiggerODirt said:
It says...Clean well after killing Cat...lol :lmfao:

HH,
LOL...nice

Its Japanese, Called a Kiridashi (small knife) The marks are likely makers marks , one well know maker is "Baishinshi".
Search for Kiridashi and you will see many examples.

www.hidatool.com/baishinshi-kiridashi-knife-w-wooden-handle-left-bevel

Thank you Taz! Thats the closest I've got to knowing anything about it yet. I'll pass that info on to him and now if I can only find someone to translate it. At least we know what type it is and that it is Japanese.

Here's the otherhalf of the story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrI8V9ffMdg

Meow!

Yeah, its kanji and the pair on the bottom of the picture that is really the top that are side by side mean "authenticated" or "authentic" which then is followed by the name of the knife maker or brand. But I can't read those. My experience is limited to sushi knives.

Thank you, Madmox! That more than I knew. I'll pass that on to the owner.

First kanji under the registration or authentication mark that looks like a capital I with the 3 dashes is probably "kou" which is inlet, bay or large river. the single one below it and the pair below that are still a mystery to me. Chances are its saying where it was made and by who which may well be the last one. But only being able to read the first one is kind of like only being able to read the first syllable. Im sure someone that can read chinese or japanese could help more. Japanese kanji is derived from chinese so they may be able to pick it out too.

Interesting. Thanks again. Its on a japanese translating forum forum also but I've received less info there. Maybe knowing the dialect will help narrow down the research.

They not reply as you posted it upside down, at least it looks that way to me, the V shapes should look like roofs.

HH