Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

City of Rocks National Preserve

Roscue2

Haven’t been on Findmall in ages, but I used to come here all the time. In recent years I’ve gotten much more into road trips, which coincidentally allows me to take a lot of photos with my IPhone 5S.

The photo here is of City Of Rocks National Preserve in Southern Idaho. It’s main tourist draw is rock climbing, which explains all the cargo cans at the park. When I visited a few months ago it was still quite warm. The granite rocks here are quite stunning, and where definitely notable to those who traveled the Oregon Trail over 150 years ago.

The park is located in a desert environment, although as you go higher elevation in the park aspen groves begin to appear.

Attachments

• 6353175D-BE66-4AA6-BAEA-4001C5468DFD.jpeg
    6353175D-BE66-4AA6-BAEA-4001C5468DFD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
It's a great spot. I've been walking it and hunting it for decades. I spent a lot of time there, even before it was known for rock climbing, and even before it was a National Reserve. Back in the 70's few people even went there. Used to be quite a few lions there, and many coyotes and bobcats.
Jim

Closest city? Wife has relatives in Owyhee County.......

Closest city of any real size is Burley, Idaho. There's a really small town near the east entrance....Almo, Idaho. Oakley is not far to the northwest, though I don;t think there's a motel. Malta, Idaho is to the northeast, and I think they have a motel.
Jim.

Got it! More or less know where its at now, thx!

There's another set of rocks nearby that's an Idaho State Park. It's called "Castle Rocks State Park". It's 2 or 3 miles north of the Silent City of Rocks.
Jim