Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil volunteers to assist law enforcement

Ronstar

Has anyone on here volunteered their detecting skills to assist law enforcement in crime investigation? Reason I ask is I was talking with an officer I’ve known for quite a few years and I mentioned that a metal detector can be invaluable at a shooting scene. Usually this is covered by State Crime Labs that respond to death scenes etc but most of them have no idea how to operate “the thingy” in the CSI trailer.
Case in point. I was in detectives in 2007 when our county had two homicides in two weeks. First event the lead detective pulled the detector out and discovered the batteries were dead. Once that was cured he turned it on started waiving it around (no GB or adjustments) and after several minutes declared the fatal bullet was nowhere in N Idaho...... I volunteered to go get my Bounty Hunter but no go.
Second event deceased laying in backyard after beer pong went south. We actually called in another deputy with an older Tesoro to look for 22 casings and hopefully bullets in trees trunks or the ground. Casing found but no bullets.
Metal detectors are simply not in the detectives tool bag. If you are not squeamish around deceased persons or dont mind looking for a needle in a haystack you might check in with your locals and leave contact info. Probably never get compensation, get cross examined by A-hole defense attorneys, and asked how the detector works scientifically, etc but helping to convict a bad guy is priceless. Besides, you might get access to vacant city/county lots cuz ya need to practice and stay sharp, right?? Think about it......