Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War 58 Cal Mini's & 1860's Infantry Button

timwied

Posted in the Civil War Forum also. Went to what I thought was an old homestead today, but there was absolutely nothing there! I drove about a 1/4 mile down the road and saw two old cedar trees standing out in the middle of a pasture. I already had permission from the landowner so I drove out to it, got out my Fisher F4, and noticed in between the Cedars was an old dilapidated windmill! Well maybe it's here for watering cattle years ago? Started hunting around for about 10 minutes and hit a harmonica reed!!! Alright!!! Kept searching for a little while and then I hit the 1880 Indian Head Cent! No more than 15 feet from that I hit a solid 70! Could be a Wheatie or maybe a dime! If so it has to be old, didn't find any trash or junk yet! Dug down about 4 inches and out popped White Lead!!! Had a piece sliced off of it, and another mark on it, but hadn't been fired! Awesome!!! Covered up my hole, stomped it in and swung my detector over it one more time and Bang! Another 70!!! 2 inches!!! Pinpointed it about 2 inches away from the first, and sure enough the second one popped out! This one was all there, with a couple little Knicks on it. It was beautiful!!! Almost had to go change clothes then!!! Then I started to swing a little farther out from the windmill, probably 100 feet out. That's when I hit the button! Saw the I, and got excited again! It's smaller than others I've found, may be a cuff button? Hadn't found an Infantry button before! Got home and gently scrubbed it with a little soap and saw Gold still there! This baby is Cool! I love this hobby!!! 10 years, 7 months and 28 days, and I'll be doing this full time!!! I'll give up this working for a living stuff! Not my calling anyway!!! LOL. Just glad to actually be out instead of reading all the Finds and wishing I was. I think I read all of Finds several times this winter! Happy Hunting!! Thanks for letting me ramble on!!!

love that brass.. Congrats on a great hunt

Very cool CW finds. Congrat's on the Eagle I Infantry button. The button looks to be in good shape too with the shank still intact and attached. Also good find on the 3 ring Minnie Balls. My hunting buddy and I went out this past Saturday and we found some bullets. We didn't rack up, but we had a good day. I found 5 bullets and a piece of lead which appeared to be a piece of a bullet. This piece had whit patina on it and seemed to have some sort of a deliberate shape to it. I couldn't tell a lot about it for the brown dirt. I tossed it in my pouch and continued on. Yesterday afternoon while cleaning this piece I was amazed to see what appeared on this piece. It is a carved piece that a Union soldier obviously carved. The overall piece is a small shield with the letters US in the shields middle. If you ever come across a small unusual looking piece, clean it and observe it closely even using a magnifying glass. You just might be surprised. This was the first carved piece I have found in quite some time, and these are among some of my favorite personal relic finds. Best of Luck to you and Congrat's to you on some saved CW History.

Kevin Rose said:
Very cool CW finds. Congrat's on the Eagle I Infantry button. The button looks to be in good shape too with the shank still intact and attached. Also good find on the 3 ring Minnie Balls. My hunting buddy and I went out this past Saturday and we found some bullets. We didn't rack up, but we had a good day. I found 5 bullets and a piece of lead which appeared to be a piece of a bullet. This piece had whit patina on it and seemed to have some sort of a deliberate shape to it. I couldn't tell a lot about it for the brown dirt. I tossed it in my pouch and continued on. Yesterday afternoon while cleaning this piece I was amazed to see what appeared on this piece. It is a carved piece that a Union soldier obviously carved. The overall piece is a small shield with the letters US in the shields middle. If you ever come across a small unusual looking piece, clean it and observe it closely even using a magnifying glass. You just might be surprised. This was the first carved piece I have found in quite some time, and these are among some of my favorite personal relic finds. Best of Luck to you and Congrat's to you on some saved CW History.

That's Cool! Like the Story!!!

After some research, I found who the soldier was who lost these! He was born in 1833 in Ireland, Immigrated to the US in 1859. Was a Civil War Vet from Indiana. He moved to my hometown and got married in 1865, and lived on the place until he died 19 February 1904. His wife lived there until she died in 1918. I don't think anyone else had lived there since. Why did he have two 58 caliber's? Maybe he kept them for souvenirs? Both he and his wife are buried in the Cemetery where I went to Church as a kid! Cool History!!!

That's a great story. It is so cool to know some History of the owners of some of the relics we find or come across. This could have very well been a souvenir the old vet held onto after the war (the Minnie Balls). It could have had some significant meaning to him, maybe from some battle or hard campaigning. Well Done on the research and Thanks for sharing.

It’s great to find an owner of a lost piece and if possible return it obviously not in this case..

Mkus said:
It’s great to find an owner of a lost piece and if possible return it obviously not in this case..

Looking for a descendant of him. Seems he didn't have any children of his own, but raised several from childhood when his brother died, so they adopted the children. Hope to find a descendant with ties to this town!!! I think it would be cool to give them this family heirloom/treasure! To me, it would be a treasure, if someone gave my ancestor's Civil War stuff! I found a cousin of mine several years ago, who had my GG Grandfathers Pistol that he carried in the Missouri Volunteers, he even has some live rounds, and his holster and belt! I have pictures of it, I'll try to put them on in a couple weeks when I get back from Hawaii!

Way to follow up on a hunch, turned a bummer into a great hunt!! Congrats Tim on some great finds!
Laplander