Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil war bullet

I was just wondering, why it appears to be for most folks, that finding a nice clean dropped bullet is a better and more exciting find than finding a shot one. Wonder why that is? To me, the shot one really tells it like it is, or was.
For me, it’s finding the drops amongst the fired that makes it hit home. I’ve stopped hunting before and just kinda had a moment of silence for these boys and let them know I have no ill intent, just saving the history.... I have a cousin whose a mystic, she says I should “cleanse” each artifact with sage before recovering...😯I’m not sure what’s freakier, a bullet haunting me or a seeing a relic hunter burning sage over his finds. 🤣

To me, bullets from the War of Northern Aggression whether dropped or fired are relics and a piece of personal History. Each bullet was handled and either fired or dropped by a soldier, either a Johnny Reb' or Billy Yank. I still get a thrill, A Blast from the Past' feeling when I find one. Either fired or dropped tells their own story. Years ago myself and some friends had been hunting a piece of a Yankee trenchline. It was about 150 yards long and was in pretty good shape. We had found quite a few fired Minnie' balls in front of the trench and some on the earthworks and just directly behind the trench. One day I aS hunting solo and I came up on the trench and I began studying the ground about 200 yards behind the trench. The ground was flat and was dotted with a stand of hardwoods. It occurred to me that I had never hunted that far back behind the line. I started hunting in the area behind the line and found about 15 dropped bullets. I began thinking and it made sense to me that reserve troops must have been behind the line, or either the troops in the trench had moved back behind the trench. Either way, I felt these dropped bullets were being dropped as anxious Yanks were fumbling bullets while going to their cartridge boxes while engaging in a fire fight with the Johnnies. Sometimes your imagination can almost put you in that time and place. In my opinion, they are both a Great Save with a story of their own.