Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War KNIFE Handle? Help!

Hwhydah17172002

This has been sitting on my desk for well over a month now. Hoping that someone can confirm that this is in fact a Civil War knife. ? Let me know your thoughts... It is 4 inches long and about 2 inches around. It is also very heavy and seems to have petrfied wood as the handle....

No help on the ID but sure is an interesting find.

Larry (IL) said:
No help on the ID but sure is an interesting find.
I was hoping that some of the experts would I D this for me... Thanks and Happy Hunting

Where was it found? And how it was found might offer clues!

Age is hard to guess at best from just looking at a picture of a hand made item. (Nothing to compare to) Hank has good suggestions to narrow it down to within a hundred years. If it is petrified wood, it would be quartz which is not a very good substance for a handle, I would rather guess it is bone without being able to hold it in my hand. It could very well be Civil War era but the history of what was found around the handle will give you more information than probably any of us could. Good luck.

Hank68 said:
Where was it found? And how it was found might offer clues!
It was found in a clay like substance at a beach close to a fort area. It is about 4 inches long and very heavy. It is about 1 inch wide. Seems like petrified wood? I don't think it's bone... aluminum or pewter for the other metal near where the blade was?any guesses? Has a star & a spade on the handle on both sides

i have found several CW pocket knives and they usually have a shield on the side of them. Other hand held CW knives that i've seen dont have any handle remaining as the wood has rotted away. Not much help. cch

I found a knife very similar to that one at a civil war plantation near Bolton, ms. It has several pewter stars on the handle. Never seen another like it until your post.
US/CS Soldiers camped around the house so your knife might be CW period.