Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Class Ring Return ~ Options on How To

unearth

I found a 2020 class ring. I have the name of the school, but no name of the owner. I guess they decided not to have their name engraved into the ring. Any ideas on how to proceed to possibly return the ring to the rightful owner?

Contact the school and give them the information about the ring and your contact information. They can put a notice out to the class of 2020 about the ring being found. Even if you had the initials or even the full name the school would not give you any information directly due to the Privacy Act.

Second you could put what information you have on social media. Keep one identifying feature to yourself, one that only the owner might know about. Then if someone contacts you they would have this information and would be a check point that the rightful owner is claiming the ring.

Good luck in the ring return.

I return a good many class rings most if not all have at least the initials in the ring. Some schools have a web site with social media.....or Facebook page.

No name or even initials? It goes in the gold pile just like all the other unidentifiable gold jewelry.

You could always go to the school and post a ring was found and the owner would have to best describe where it was lost and style of ring my friend just returned one lost 44 years ago lady knew right where it had been lost it flew off her finger in the school yard ..

Jason in Enid said:
No name or even initials? It goes in the gold pile just like all the other unidentifiable gold jewelry.

I'd be the same way. There's just too much confusion without any initials.

5900_XL-1 said:
Jason in Enid said:

I'd be the same way. There's just too much confusion without any initials.

I doubt if its gold, a lot of newer class rings are "junktonium". BUT, I have to say, when I first started detecting I returned the first few class rings I found, usually at great lengths as the first few were way before "social media" and 1 person was actually gracious and thankful, the others acted as if I had stolen the rings, one even told me "theres no way you found my ring THERE", soooo, my policy from that point on, FINDERS KEEPERS. I no longer make an effort to return them. You can have your own opinion about that, as I have mine. I'm sorry, but the way I see it NOW, is I invest a lot of time and energy and MONEY in equipment, gas and so on, to find something only to then go to the trouble of finding the owner then be treated like a thief.

Did it ever cross anyone's mind that some rings aren't "lost" at all, but are intentionally thrown away? Maybe as an act of letting go of bad memories or something like that, and that the previous owner doesn't want it back?

I was that way with my own class ring. Started dating this girl my senior year and that was "the thing" ya know, the girl wears the class ring of her boyfriend. The summer after graduating, I found her in the local school parking lot hangout, all over this other guy. I got my ring back from her and never wore it again. Every time I looked at it, she was all I could think of wearing it and I hated it. It's in my gun safe to this day. I told my parents one day that I wish they'd of talked me out of getting that stupid ring, and would have gotten me a rifle or pistol for graduation...because I guarantee it would have gotten more use over the last 20 years than that ring.

I know several people that during arguments, and or similar events, that they took their rings off and threw them out of frustration as far as they could and hoped they would never be found.

My first ever ring recovery was for a guy that my dad worked with....I think I was all of 10 or 11 years old in the fall of the year. Dad drove me over to the guys house, where the story was, his teenage daughter had been playing in leaf piles, and lost a ring in one of them. The story didn't add up to me, even at my young age. Why would a teenage girl be playing in leaf piles? Anyway....I got out there with the machine searching leaf piles and found the ring in like 10 minutes. The girl was not happy at all, which was also strange. Come to find out...her boyfriend had given her an engagement ring and the girl's daddy wasn't happy about it and did not approve. He told her to give it back...she refused and got mad, took the ring off and threw it into a leaf pile. I guess she thought he would have to pay the boy back or something like that. I find the ring and instead of being the hero of the day, I was public enemy #1. LOL

So I wonder some times, if when we recover a ring and then go all out trying to find the owner...if we shouldn't have just left it be. That could explain the attitude of some people when you do return one. Now days, I only respond to posts and word of mouth of locals that have lost a ring here or there. Social media has made this easy to do. I have already recovered 3 for people this way this year. Usually starts with "I know it's a long shot but...we were swimming at such and such lake and lost my wedding band...this is what it looks like...if anyone happens to find it, there is a reward". Those are the grateful ones.

A lot of the new metal class rings are totally junk. Those made by josten have a warranty on the so that if they are lost Josten will replace them. I found two of them last year. One had been lost for two years. I was shocked when I read the name engraved in the ring as I knew when that young lady was born. Called her home and talked to her father. He did not know that she had lost the ring and received a replacement. I had worked with him for 14 years.

Second one was also metal and had the young mans name engraved in it. A bit of research showed he had graduated from a local school and we found him on facebook. He was appreciative that I returned his ring but there was a tag on the chain that his deceased father had made when he was in the Marines and that tag meant more to him than anything else on that chain.

The only gold class ring that I have found was from 1931. I suspect that it came from a wealthy family as that was during some pretty hard times in this nation. Ring is worn to the point that I can not determine what school it came from

A facebook page or a local newspaper is where I would post the find without giving any real information about the ring and where it was found.

BootyHunter said:
I doubt if its gold, a lot of newer class rings are "junktonium". .

Very true! Even my own son's class ring is junktonium. When we were picking out rings, I said I would pay for a silver or gold ring, but he wanted that black-iridium junk metal. Its his ring and his choice though, as long as hes happy with it. Seems a common trend with the current generation. They dont care about money, working, the first car, etc. We had to basically force the boy to learn to drive, get licensed and find a car. Told him, when he turned 16 we were done hauling him around like chauffeurs. He coudl bum rides from friends (who also didnt have cars, LOL) or take charge of his own future. Almost every parent we have talked with says the same about their kid.

Like every generation of parents have always said, "kids these days :rolleyes: " LOL

Junktonium That's funny :rofl: Reminds me of an Oakley add a few years back claiming their frames were made from unobtainium problem is with their price's they were unobtainable for most.
HH Jeff

A new word has been "coined".

Matt KD3VJ

Not Always. My son found one when he was just a little guy and he is now over 50. I contacted the school. Ring had year and initials on it and was told that they could not help me. I ran an ad in the local news paper and the only response was from a guy from a different year with different initials. Never was able to return the ring.

I've found two class rings in the caribbean on two different trips and returned both to their owners. One lived in North Carolina the other lived in south Carolina. Both rings were found in the same resort , in the same swimming area and within 20 feet of each other.

I found a 2017 class ring here in Fl. that belong to a student in TX. It being my first and only class ring, I was a bit dishearten because I envisioned doing all this research to find the owner. But it was a current year ring. Ring had her initials inside so I called the school registrar and informed her that I had found a ring belonging to one of their students. I gave her my contact info and asked if she could help identify the student so I could return the ring to it's rightful owner. Got a phone call that evening from the girl's father telling me where she'd lost it on the exact volleyball court where I'd found it. He'd already told her that they couldn't afford to replace it. It was right before Christmas so I told him I'd tried to get it back to her before Christmas day as a big surprise. Paid extra for fast delivery, never heard anything back saying that it had been received............

Chilldigger

I had a similar experience to what GeorgeinSC described.
I found a class ring when I was a kid many years ago and lost track
and of it until my parents passed and I was sorting through things in the house.
I remembered the ring when I saw it.
It was a 1959 year ring and now being into metal detecting, i figured I try
returning it to the owner.
I contacted the school in Georgia and talked with lady giving her the initials
found on the inside, she later called back and said she believe she knew who it
belonged to, but was not sure of where he lived or how to contact him.
To me the ring looked like woman’s ring, so I was unsure if we had the right person.
She said she would get back with me, but I never heard back from her.
Hope you have better luck than me.
I’ve had mixed results with returns.
I found a wedding ring someone reported lost to the life guards,
And when I called the phone number they left( no name or other information),
a recording came up stating the number was no longer in use or had been
had been disconnected.
I went back to where I found the ring and left my information in case the owners
called the see if anyone had found the ring... never heard anything more about it..I still
have it... 21 karat gold.
Hope you have better luck!