Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Class rings and gold from the lake--here's how I grid in the water

Hit the lake twice this week. First day a whopping 1.5 penny weight 10k band and a Lander university girls ring. I think tungsten would have been more valuable than the gold. Found the girl from Lander university in less than 4 hours from my call to the school until she called me back. What's uncanny is she is from my hometown and neighborhood from 45 years ago. Small world. The best find was the Clemson University ring today. Weighs 6.2 penny weight and is 18 kt. Already emailed the sorority. 240 dollars worth of gold is hard to part with but I guess it's what we do. Glad all the wedding rings and bands don't have dates, initials, etc.-:) Gridding in the water: I have two separate plastic bottles connected to a dive weight with a small rope. Each bottle has its own rope and weight. I leave one bottle floating from where I start out. I walk in a straight line and drop the other bottle when I'm ready to turn around. I move over a few feet and walk back to the other bottle, move it over a couple feet and then walk back to the other. That way I don't meander and know I've hit that area pretty thoroughly. Happy hunting to all.

A nice line up and thanks for sharing a good idea for calm water. Parting with treasure sure is hard sometimes but in the end the pay off is worth some Great Memories and knowing you did the right thing.

Good find and great stories!
Folks that have never had a return probably don't realize how long and strong those memories stick with you.

Nice finds! I'll bet the owner was happy to get it back.

Some nice finds,..... class rings are my least favorite. Too much info and possible ways to find the person to ignore, kinda like a wallet. Of the dozen or so I have found, only two remain in my collection. I don't bother trying to find the owners of wedding bands, even with the date, names or initials it's a slim to none chance. Have yet to see one posted as lost in the paper or CL that I found, and I'm not going to post one as found, that should be in their best interest to do so.
WTG on the returns, they are a very small percentage compared to what you find and get to keep with a clear conscious.:thumbup:

dobbratacus said:
Joe, am I to understand you are using a viper detector? Just curious what the "king" is using now a days.

Thanks DB, It's a Blue tube Excalibur with a Excalibur ll board, Remote PP and I swap between the 800 and 1000 coils ........using the Skully Tubes headphones, kind of a ongoing joke with the Viper thing with a few friends. And the "King",.... well I believe all of Us are Kings when we hit the water........ All work as hard as and earn there treasures, some are Blessed with better locations and it does not mean they are better then the rest...

Dobb, nice finds and thanks for sharing your gridding technique. I use the fiberglass rods that are for marking the driveway so that the plow doesn't tear up the sod in the winter when plowing snow. Similar to you, I place them in a row, go up one side then down the other then move them over about 5 feet and repeat. This technique has gotten me 11 rings in a party sand bar that I started detecting 2 years ago. Trouble is, the young people seem to be wearing more Tungsten and less gold!
HH, mac