Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Clean those coil covers!

Ted S

I went out for about 4 hours yesterday and the dry spell continues! I hunted the site of the old post office and came up with a skeleton key and part of a pocket watch. you can see a jewel in the mechanism. Coming up short I decided to hit an old ball diamond on the way home. Come up with some clad and a couple of deep wheaties. One last shot for the day was an old park on the way home. There were power lines in the area and no matter what I tried,I couldn't get my 600 to settle down. I noise cancelled,turned sensitivity down and went from field 2 to park 1 etc. Nothing helped so I called it a day. This morning I took the coil cover off and it was pretty packed with dirt. I am going to wash it out and try it again. I always run the plate as I hunt mostly fields. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Thanks! Ted

I take my cover off quite frequently and clean in.
It is amazing how much debris can get inside of it.
I have also encountered areas where I could not get my detector to quiet down due to EMI.
I think the Equionx is more sensitive to it than many other machines.
Sometimes I have switched to a single frequency which helps... you might try this next time... I have noticed that switching to a high single frequency (15 or 20 has better results than the lower ones.

I'm always cleaning mine if it looks dirty I wash it and cover comes off..
Mark

I went out for about 4 hours yesterday and the dry spell continues! I hunted the site of the old post office and came up with a skeleton key and part of a pocket watch. you can see a jewel in the mechanism. Coming up short I decided to hit an old ball diamond on the way home. Come up with some clad and a couple of deep wheaties. One last shot for the day was an old park on the way home. There were power lines in the area and no matter what I tried,I couldn't get my 600 to settle down. I noise cancelled,turned sensitivity down and went from field 2 to park 1 etc. Nothing helped so I called it a day. This morning I took the coil cover off and it was pretty packed with dirt. I am going to wash it out and try it again. I always run the plate as I hunt mostly fields. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Thanks! Ted
I stopped using the covers and I am too lazy to epoxy the spaces underneath. Maybe I'll do that after the warranty pewriod is up.
Tony

I run into a problem after hunting some beaches at the southern end of Lake Michigan. With the old steel mills at that end of Illinois and Indiana, there's enough iron particles on the beach that my Equinox starts getting erratic. I'll pull the cover off and clean it out and the problem goes away. I also find that the magnet I have in my sand scoop will accumulate a ton of black sand and iron on the same beaches.

The dirt under the coil my have been your problem but the dirt in my area doesn't give me much of a problem.
But at the beach the sand is a big problem for me. So on my beach coil the cover is off for good and the bottom is coated with marine epoxy. Then spray on bedliner.
It's possible it was just EMI though. I have hunted a few places near power lines with no trouble and other places where I had to cut the sensitivity down farther than I wanted to.
As far as removing the cover to clean, I will remove my coil from the shaft first from now on so as not to put extra stress on the ears.

It was time to clean the machine up a bit anyway. I took the screen cover off and wiped everything down with a damp rag. Maybe it will treat me better! :detecting:

I clean mine after every hunt. I spray it down, remove the coil cover and clean out the sand. I then wash it with warm water ensuring I get the salt spary off. After it’s dry, I silicone the cables.

I do all this because 99.9% of my hunts are on saltwater beaches and I know how hard that can be on equipment.

Overkill? Perhaps. But my equipment is always in good shape and ready for the next hunt.

I think it was EMI. I usually switch to 20. Make sure you notice that the target id's change with sing freq operation