Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaned up some more iron horseshoes..

bootyhoundpa

Two of these horse shoes are huge..one of them appears to be stamped by the blacksmith..the picture of the grill shows how fast they rust back up after power washing..5 minutes and they turn orange..other picture is horseshoe wire wheeled on one half after removing from the grill..

Attachments

• 70F3571C-B3A3-4913-A538-B72288224BB6.jpeg
    70F3571C-B3A3-4913-A538-B72288224BB6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 92F802BF-359B-43ED-9210-C24A21AE6198.jpeg
    92F802BF-359B-43ED-9210-C24A21AE6198.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 100
  • EE7471BE-04AF-45EB-A135-0BD1DB3F5DEF.jpeg
    EE7471BE-04AF-45EB-A135-0BD1DB3F5DEF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • 1502FCB5-8001-4350-BB6A-069BEA411EF0.jpeg
    1502FCB5-8001-4350-BB6A-069BEA411EF0.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 101
You have quite the collection of fine relics. Do you paint them with any type of rust inhibitor?

Last edited:
bootyhound, I have probably talked to you previously about a product called Gemplers. This is a great product that treats the iron from the inside out and stops any further rusting, preserving the iron. The only thing is that when treated it will turn the iron black giving a nice sheen to the piece. The iron will have a dullish looking sheen to it, not a glossy finish. I believe that it not only preserves the piece, but enables you to see some fine detail. I used this on my Confetrit' 12 pounder cannon ball and my iron shell frag's and I thought they turned out nice looking. Some may like it and some not, but I was pleased with the results. You do have to wear gloves when applying this, and the iron at first turns a bluish color before turning black. Your process on treating your iron artifacts looks great. I just thought that if you had ever considered another treatment for certain pieces, that this could possibly be an option. If you think you might be interested I could shoot you a few pic's of some of my CW iron treated with this. I always like to be sure and tell folks that I am in no way affiliated with the Gemplers Co. Just a satisfied customer that tried their product and was pleased with the results. Keep up the good work

Does the Gemplers use Phosphoric acid as an active ingredient?

bootyhound, I have probably talked to you previously about a product called Gemplers. This is a great product that treats the iron from the inside out and stops any further rusting, preserving the iron. The only thing is that when treated it will turn the iron black giving a nice sheen to the piece. The iron will have a dullish looking sheen to it, not a glossy finish. I believe that it not only preserves the piece, but enables you to see some fine detail. I used this on my Confetrit' 12 pounder cannon ball and my iron shell frag's and I thought they turned out nice looking. Some may like it and some not, but I was pleased with the results. You do have to wear gloves when applying this, and the iron at first turns a bluish color before turning black. Your process on treating your iron artifacts looks great. I just thought that if you had ever considered another treatment for certain pieces, that this could possibly be an option. If you think you might be interested I could shoot you a few pic's of some of my CW iron treated with this. I always like to be sure and tell folks that I am in no way affiliated with the Gemplers Co. Just a satisfied customer that tried their product and was pleased with the results. Keep up the good work
Would you create a post for others to see your finished product using Gemplers ( like me) 😁?

earthlypotluck, here are some photo's of my CW 12 pounder, and some of my artillery shell frag's that were treated with gemplers. I hope you can tell something about the finish in the pic.'s. The iron appears to have a more glossy finish than what it actually has because of the lighting. I took pic's of the iron off of my phone using my kindle fire. The one pic. Shows the bottle of the product along with the iron. I just did this for reference to the gemplers product and what it looks like. Again, I am not pushing this product, nor am I affiliated with their company in any way. I understand that there are a few other products that treat the iron such as this, but this was the product that I tried after watching several videos of this being used. If you don't mind the iron turning black, this is a good way to treat the iron and prevent any further rusting this preserving the iron. I think it turns the iron back to what it may have originally looked like when it was being used back during the war. I hope this may give you some insight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_165732.jpg
    IMG_20210906_165732.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210906_165723.jpg
    IMG_20210906_165723.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20210906_165641.jpg
    IMG_20210906_165641.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210906_165619.jpg
    IMG_20210906_165619.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210906_165604.jpg
    IMG_20210906_165604.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 90
Confetrit thanks so much for posting the photos! Your relics look well preserved!! This is exactly how I need my project to turn out 👍
BHPA this product might be something to look into.

earthlypotluck, here are some photo's of my CW 12 pounder, and some of my artillery shell frag's that were treated with gemplers. I hope you can tell something about the finish in the pic.'s. The iron appears to have a more glossy finish than what it actually has because of the lighting. I took pic's of the iron off of my phone using my kindle fire. The one pic. Shows the bottle of the product along with the iron. I just did this for reference to the gemplers product and what it looks like. Again, I am not pushing this product, nor am I affiliated with their company in any way. I understand that there are a few other products that treat the iron such as this, but this was the product that I tried after watching several videos of this being used. If you don't mind the iron turning black, this is a good way to treat the iron and prevent any further rusting this preserving the iron. I think it turns the iron back to what it may have originally looked like when it was being used back during the war. I hope this may give you some insight.
Confetrit,Thanks for reminding me …I may consider it in the future…it certainly made your finds look great…I could always strip the wax and let them resurface rust as believ those products often require a little rust to work..for the time being Im rather happy just getting them down to bare metal, cardinal sin probably but I really like being able to see the grains in the iron.

Confetrit,Thanks for reminding me …I may consider it in the future…it certainly made your finds look great…I could always strip the wax and let them resurface rust as believ those products often require a little rust to work..for the time being Im rather happy just getting them down to bare metal, cardinal sin probably but I really like being able to see the grains in the iron.
Nothing wrong at all in the way you treat and restore your iron artifacts. They look great. Thanks for the compliment.

Very nice 🙂

I have a couple things I would like to “restore” if you will. The large horse snaffle bit would be one but not 100% sure its made of (rusted pretty good but thinking not iron in a horses mouth?).