Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning pennies, is it worth it ?

okwaho

I haven't been detecting for very long.
I have already collected a fair amount of clad.
I've been checking out the posts for cleaning coins.
And the question is....
Is it worth it ?
The pennies I mean.
Has anyone actually done a cost analysis of the cleaning process ?
Lets see.
Tumbler $40, for a three pound version.
Vinegar, lemon juice, salt, electricity, I'll guess and say $3 per load.
Having never done it I have no idea how many pennies yo do at once.
But after its all said and done was it worth it ?
Would be interested in actual figures if anyone has taken the time to do a real cost analysis.

I collect them. Once I get enough to fill a bowl, I put in some cheap degreaser. Then in a few days, I rinse them off.

Is it worth it to clean them.... probably not.

Is it worth it? For me, it is just a part of the hobby. I would like the Govt to do away with pennies, but since they haven't, I'll continue to clean all I dig rather then throw them away and I would never put them back into circulation dirty. It costs more in time to clean coins in general, then it does in dollars and cents, IMO. HH jim tn

Okwaho: It is a personal thing. It is a personal hobby. Your finds are personal. But your finds are now part of you. You can release them in anyway you want. If the universe sees that the finds given are appreciated there could be a lot more surprises coming your way? Just my own thoughts.......Z

I am thinking it is closer to $1.00 per load to clean them then $3.00. Especially with vinegar you should only have to run the tumbler about 30 minutes.

I didn't mean to infer that I wouldn't do it if it wasn't "worth it".

I have many hobbies that, when all is said and done, cost me money.
Shooting cost me plenty, with no chance of making any money.

Guess that's why we call them hobbies and not carriers....:laugh:

I was just curious.

I am currently in the process of making a tumbler.
The "canister" will be a one gallon paint can.
Most of the parts and pieces where hanging around the cellar and gar rage.
Cost estimate for this tumbler is under $10.
Once done, if it works :lol: I Will upload a picture and explanation of the assembly......

Well, I got my double tumbler on sale at HF...
The aquarium gravel, water and a few drops of dish washing liquid costs very little...
Electricity to run it costs a little...
It is the most efficient way to clean not only pennies but other clad and objects, also...
My bank will count my clad and not charge me...but only if it semi clean...
I have found enough pennies to take me and the wife out to a very nice dinner...

So for me...yea...well worth it.

Also, I might just try to see if my clad tumbler will actually polish rocks too, one day.