Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning rust from relics...? Naval Jelly?

JoanInCreek

Hi all. I collected some relics that are loaded with rust. I assume the items are iron and steel. I thought naval jelly would work here is a link to what i found.
I checked out aluminium jelly but the info on line does not praise the product . Might just be for small lightweight, simple items, not heavy duty. So I checked out naval jelly which is what my son used to clean metal a few years ago (he used a pink color). http://www.shorechemical.com/Section%207%20Tech%20Sheets/naval_jelly.htm.
But you all hunt relics regularly so I was wondering what you all use to clean heavily corroded items in the ground for about 85 years. Thanks!

Electrolysis is the best. Just use a battery charger. (Cell phone, laptop, radio charger, powerwheel)) Look on the cover and make sure it says DC output. I use a 12 and a 24V. Cut the tip off the end of the charger. Attach a set of aligatior clips from radio shack ($3.00)

The striped side of the cord gets the black clips, and the solid side of the cord gets the red clip.

Make a tub of warm water, mix in a generous amount of baking soda as the electrolyte.

Connect a copper wire to a piece of scrap metal, preferrably steel, but titanium is the very best. This piece of metal is going to corrode and waste away over time. This side hooks to the black aligator clip None of this shoud make contact with the relic that is being cleaned.

The relic should be suspended over the scrap metal. Attach a piece of copper wire around the relic. The red aligator clip connects to the relic side.

Plug the DC charger in to a GFCI outlet. It is connected correctly if the wire on the relic is fizzing like alka seltzer. Let is cook for a few hours, it is ready to be brushed with a stiff bristle bronze brush when the rust is easy falling off when handled. Heavily corroded relics may need a few cycles of shocking and bushing to remove the rust.

I heat the relic up after this to drive all the moisture out of the metal. Obviously do not do this with a live shell. Then I apply neutral wax to the warm relic. If you try heating the wax, you are asking to burn the house down. Do not use electrolysis on lead, as it will create a crazy patina that ruins the relic (sabots) Hope that helps

I used the pink naval jelly on the first artillery shells I ever found, about 25 years ago. I was pleased. Then, I used Tung Oil finish to protect. Worked for me...

Wow - been years since I used Naval Jelly - kind of forgot about really.
I have a collection of dug horse shoes and several are really encrusted in rust. Many I couldn't get to sizzle trying the electrolysis. I'll have to get some Navel Jelly and see if soaking them does the trick. Years ago I used the pink stuff for some auto applications.
I keep all the dug horse shoes I have collected during my relic hunts, and have them hanging around in the back yard. Might not be worth much but I still enjoy them when hanging around the back yard by the BBQ. Some of the worst could use a bath.
Thanks for the reminder :thumbup: