Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning rusty cast iron balls?

kt

I've found a rusty 1.7 inch iron sphere that I'd like to clean up and see if I can find any writing on. There was quite a bit of Civil War activity in my area, but I seriously doubt if there were any 18 pounders around, for this ball to be canister shot. If I had to guess I'd say it was a rusty old gate weight, or maybe some industrial trash (lots of 19th Century railroad activity in my area too - there was a large locomotive repair facility a mile down the road from where I found the ball).

What is the easiest and quickest way to clean up a rusty ball of iron? Chemicals? Electrolysis? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Kt, look up reverse electrolysis. You can clean it up with a 9 volt, baking soda, a spoon, some copper wires, clean water and a bowl.
Good luck and post some pics when done:)

I recommend electrolysis. Hook the negative to the part being cleaned. If you hook the positive to the part being cleaned you then are electroplating which you do not want to do. I use arm and hammer washing soda and not baking soda. Washing soda is a cleaner method in my opinion. Although everyone has there own way of doing things. I use a Manuel battery charger and run the amps low. Should clean up fine....HH

you tube shows lots of methods too. CCH

Thanks everyone, I'll give electrolysis a shot.

:rofl brianc577:: I can't stop laughing. But all jokes aside. Have you ever found any writing on them?

2 Much Trash said:
:rofl brianc577:: I can't stop laughing. But all jokes aside. Have you ever found any writing on them?

Once my father-in-law found a CW cannonball especially for me at a garage sale. It had writing on it ! Too bad it was a SHOT PUT. Ha. CCH

Lol CCH, well it's the thought that counts!