Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning silver from fire

Jessgo33

How do u clean silver? My sister opened up one of her safes that had my moms silver coins. How would one go about cleaning the silver. We would like to get the coins back to original condition. If not can they be melted?

Hopefully they can be cleaned but most places that buy them just pay melt price so you should be able to at least get that much for them.

Howdy Jessgo33--

You can not get coins back to "original condition". It's like trying to put tooth paste back in the tube .You didn't mention what type of silver coins you have. Are they common circulated Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters? If so, it really doesn't matter what you do to them. Keep in mind that the cleaning of a rare coin will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce it's value. Also, collectors will pay more for attractively toned coins. Before doing anything to your coins, may I suggest that you purchase the Red Book of U.S. coins by R. S. Yeomen. That may save you time and money. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel