Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors

samuelgbrannan

maxxkatt's Avatarmaxxkatt

Supporter
spp_star.gif
Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors.
Review of Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors.

I think this is the best book in his Equinox series. It is written for a large group of new Equinox users. It is not written for very experience users of other Minelab products or the Equinox experts and there are a few of those experts around.

It is written for and I think most helpful for the newbie who bought the Equinox 600 or 800 and experienced detectorists coming from other non-Minelab machines. The total newbies to metal detecting should buy a good beginners metal detecting book and all three of Clive’s Equinox books.

The book is packed with information that for me told me two major things: 1) why I was not getting the performance out of my Equinox that others were reporting and 2) how to make the Equinox do what I need it to do to perform at a level it was design to perform.

I am not going into a lot of detail because that would be like quoting everything in the book.

I will tell you I learned what my biggest problem was with me and my 800. By playing around with all of the features without not truly understanding the physics behind most of the settings I was operating with a detector that was often greatly de-tuned or not balanced. A balanced Equinox means selecting the proper modes for your type of hunting and small settings adjustments to make the 800 a little more balanced.

The Equinox engineers made the different modes for park, field, beach and gold very balanced. In most cases just using the default mode best for your type of hunting will serve you will. Only until you truly understand the settings and how to effectively use them you should leave them alone. This is why just copying other detectorist’s settings will get you into trouble. Their settings are for their environment, not yours.

Keeping in mind that sensitivity (gain), recovery speed, and iron bias all affect each other. So, you really need to make small adjustments of all in a manner that none or many of these adjustments cause an unbalanced detector.

Sounds complicated? Yes it is. But it becomes a lot less complicated after reading Clive’s third Equinox book carefully. The book is packed full of information on the above topics. I was surprised to learn that even the detector’s volume level affects your ability to hear deep targets and not buy turning up the volume which is what most of us would think to do.

I recommend all three of Clive’s books for the novice as well as a good metal detecting beginners book. For the more experienced detectorists who have never use a Minelab detector the third book will probably be enough to get you over the Equinox learning curve hump.

I have the book and it is the most tedious reading I've ever seen in a detector book. I probably need to reread it to get more out of it

Being completely honest I have never read one book on metal detecting or on the equinox and I personally never will I learn way better out in the field trying different settings.
I'm sure for some people its fine but I prefer turn on and go at it.
Mark

I agree with you. I read it once but had to re-read it very carefully and take some notes on things that I need to really understand.