Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Close to Sovereign GT, but waffling

Charlie P. (NY)

I have about convinced myself to call David Keith back and order a Sovereign GT . . . and then I see things like this:

I'd watch out on the BBS detectors if you're in heavily mineralized ground or looking for low conductors. I won't dispute their iron handling ability, but they sacrifice sensitivity to lead, gold, etc. when compared to other detectors. I've had 2 Sov's and an Excal. and did some fairly extensive in-ground testing with various coils. The results were disappointing. The Sov. GT might be a wholly different story, same goes for the Explorer.

Now I know opinions are like noses - everyone has one and some are bent - but I thought I'd poll the owners here. How do you all feel the Sovereign GT does as a dual role coin & relic machine? I have potential hereabouts for deeper coins from the early 1800's (lots of deep frost action that sinks 'em). I'm much less interested in gold rings than copper and silver coins.

What other machines have you used before?

I have used a few machines myself, and I gotta say that the Sovereign Elite, and the GT both have served me well in relic hunting, park coin shooting, and beach wading.

I have never gone to a plowed field yet. Apparently the Sovereigns are not good for plowed fields, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have relic hunted in a battlefield that the mineralization was so bad, only multi-frequency machines, and PI's would work there. I have also relic hunted very near to the coast, that any single frequency machine would fail.

I have hunted wet sand and waded with my GT and the Elite.

I have hunted my local parks, and that is where I learned where deep targets are missed by others. I have learned what deep targets sound like, and how the meter reacts to it. This is a place that is littered with trash, both iron and higher conductive metals.

I did try to use the NOTCH and a little disc, but it's not needed.

I do have an 8-inch BBS, 8-inch coin search, 10-inch Tornado, and the Sunray s-12.

I also have an Excalibur. That is used in the surf where I know I could be up to my neck in waves.

Anyway, I know the Sovereigns can go to places that others can't.

laterz

ed

Charlie, the GT is one of the best detectors out there. I have had three Sovereigns and the GT is the best of all. I hunt for coins exclusively and it gets superior depth and has great separation, even with the 10 inch coil. I have had two Explorers also and the GT in my opinion beats them also. The cons: they are heavy, but better balanced then the earlier Sovereigns. They are meant to be used with a slow sweep speed, which I like. There are many coils and aftermarket parts. The S-1 Sunray probe works better on a Sovereign than any other brands. I have used the Sunray probe on fishers, whites, and explorers, but the Sovereign works the best. PS, Dave at Dixie, is the best Sovereign man around. He has a super deal on a usedGT right now, with his mods. Give it a shot and if you don't like it, you won't lose a penny if you keep it nice. R.L.

What other machines have you used before?

I'm pretty limited. I've been using a Musketeer Advantage for the past three years and futzed with an aenimic Radio Shack kit that I assembled back when Lennon & McCartney were still writing songs together. Have done some testing with White's MXT and XLT in a backyard type test garden at the local dealer, but nothing in an "uncontrolled" enviroment.

I'll be keeping the Musky for a back-up & loaner. Very pleased with how that works. I figured the Sovereign GT is a logical extension (same box, similar controls; just more of them and more advanced).

Sovs are good for coin size and larger objects.
They are not very sensitive to very small poorly conductive targets. I find this to be an advantage when hunting around very small bits of trash. Often there is no response to it. My mid priced Whites (discontinued model) really hits on the small junk and really makes hunting small trash annoying.

HH

OK. Poor choice of words. I know the BBS is worlds different from the VLF, but they both use DD coils, have analog control dials and switches, chose not to get into the VDI with icons, bells and whistles (which I am dubious of anyway). I felt they would, lets say, have a tactile similarly.

The things you mention are similar. It's the way it works that is going to be completely different.
There are a lot of guys who move up to BBS/FBS from a single or multi-tone beeper and are completely overwhelmed by it.
You have to start from scratch and have patience to learn it.

The worst thing you could do is try to operate it like a previous machine. It works like a Sov, and you can't make it work like anything else.

Since you are familiar with knobs and DD coil seach patterns, that part will be easy. Just follow the logic you are used to. You may find out that a lot of times the disc and notch controls are dead weight. Most of us seldom use them....we listen to everything.
I have been using Sovs for 5-6 years and still could not tell you which control is witch....I would have to look.At turn on, I verify disc and notch all the way down and don't need to look again.

HH

Charlie
I have had my Sovereign for a couple of weeks now!
:detecting:

And I would venture to say that it's the best detector out there, :minelab:

I am not trying to change your mind but I think once you get it the Sovereign Gt you will do what, you want with it.

Just yesterday I found a automobile key deep in the sand at the beach. I would say that it was old because Ford Motor company started making double sided keys in 1965

Sov Elite is also good. Don't set the sensitivity too high and swing slow. It won't take too long to learn the sounds.

For relics I would go with a T2 or a Tejon but for coins... Gt all the way. FWIW, the GT will hunt some relics too and the others will find some coins. The T2 is a good all around machine but the GT with the a meter will really find some coins. I spoke with David today on the phone about my GT, which I bought from him about a year and a half ago, it has been a good machine. I have removed the meter for relic hunting and am doing better with it just using the tone ID but for coins, i'd put the meter back on it without a second thought. The GT with digi-meter has the most stable TID of any machine I have ever used, it will lock on and hold an ID while a lot of other machines will jump around on the TID, not the GT, it will hold it stready and you will know if you are hitting a pulltab or a nickle but a dime and a quarter will read the same. It will give a different TID on copper and zinc pennies.

You cannot go wrong with the GT if you are hunting coins.

Julien