Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

clueless in NJ

mortarman

OK, please be patient with me. I'm new to all this and have been going round and round with trying to decide on the best machine for me. I had it narrowed down to either the Fisher F5 or the Tesoro Vaquero. I started leaning toward the Fisher because of the features and the readout/tone Id's. But now I'm reading that it's not a good relic hunter because it doesn't go very deep. Is this true? So now I'm looking at the Vaquero again but I have a stick up my butt thinking a machine without a screen is going to be really hard to learn. Is that a valid issue or am I mistaken? I've read that the Vaquero goes deep. I'm mostly looking for an all around detector that can be effective with finding coins as well as relics. Doing parks and school yards as well as old homesteads/ghost towns. Not too worried about beaches cause I'm planning on getting a Sand Shark in the future.
So, any help for this indecisive newbie :sadwalk: will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to post this in both the Fisher "F" forum and here so I can get both schools of thought! So you fisher fans can have a chance to help me also. Thanks!

Go to a dealers shop and look over the detectors you have listed as possible purchase.

Truthfully, no one here can tell you which will do better, or which you will like more.

Ground conditions, Your style of swinging, and areas you hunt will make a "BIG" difference in which machine will and or will not be the machine you'll be happy with.

What is your preference too. Meter with some accuracy ( Not all targets) will be what it reads on any detector. A machine that has no meter..and you pretty much have to dig all targets till you work an area and see what is there. Then Discrmination can take out a few bad targets.. You almost always have to dig all targets with either type machine for total success.. There is no perfect detector... That said I like a meter...I don't like digging all targets, even if it means I loose a ring or two.. That is my style.. I can also scope out an area better with a metered machine and get a feel for what is on that sight. You can do the same with a Non metered machine, but must dig all targets. On a metered machine you can set to all metal and dig all targets and don't even look at the meter. Go by sound. On a non meter machine you can't choose. It's only beep and dig really.....................

But again..I must stress, Only You..can make the choice.

Feel free to call me for advice or better pricing info. Look into the teknetics omega 8000. It's the f5 younger improved brother. It's a great machine on coins!!

Have to ditto what Elton/Bart are stating. You have to make a choice. Relics or coins. What's the most important category? The Omega is a coin killer. A Tek T2/T2 SE or Fisher F75/F75 LTD are relic monsters. There is no detector that can be the ultimate in both coins & relics at the same time. Due to engineering that makes a machine predominate for either coins or predominate for relics.
If there was such a detector, we would all own the same one:)

Although i am mainly after old coins, a good bit of my old coin hunting is done on sites that share coins and relics and I, too, would highly suggest taking a good look at the Omega. As Terra mentions it is a "coin killer," but it also hits bullets, buttons and other relic types very well and already has a nice compliment of coils available with another good coming. HH jim tn

Clueless in NJ,
Being new to this??
How about a nice used one to get you started for very little money, if you like the hobby you can do some more shopping for something later, if not then I'm sure you could get your money back.

Here is a link to the classified section on this forum to one that should do you very well.
Its deep! (I would say deeper than a Tesoro.
Its easy to use!
It finds coins, and LOVE relics. Its a classic among relic hunters.

The price is right.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?44,1542580

Mark

Clue Less in NJ, First welcome to the Hobby, I live in Northern NJ. I have to agree with Mark the 1265X is an awesome detector, used mine for over 10 to 15 years. very sturdy detector still repairable from Fisher, and he's right fantastic coin and relic hunter and and it finds the Rings and jewelry. Easy to learn, Dual Discrimination, Disc1 and Disc 2, switchable by toggle switch, two position Sensitivey knob ( IN for normal, Pull out for HIGH SEN.) Powerful little machine. Long battery life, 5",8",!0.5" coils available for that detector. And that's a great price.................... Send me and email address and I'll send you the manual to look at so you get an idea about the detector. pb23@optonline.net.