Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CO - 47

Monkeys Uncle

Okay you E-Trac experts...last two hunts, swung over a number of tragets (8 or 9) that returned "CO 47" and recovered only 1 clad GW :sneaky: . All the others were alum. cans or round alum lids/tops. Was running Andy s' pattern and followed the "hits" with open Quick Mask to check FE. Did not dig any FE 30's or for that matter anything >FE 26. Am I missing something (?) or is that expected? Is alum always going to outsmart me and the machine? TIA and HH to all!

Aluminum is a tough one , it will usually scream loud . I lift the coil up to see how far above the target I can get . Sometimes 1-2 feet above the target and it still sounds off (good indicator of alum). The heart gets pumping when the numbers look good and the pitch is high , And then pop , the bubble gets burst and disappointment sets in. This isnt always the case I have found some decent silver hitting the same numbers. I usually choose to dig most signals depending on locale. Hang in there it takes a while to become master over the machine. Not all patterns in a book will work in all locations, HH

Hey Monkey,
OK....hit the menu icon (looks like an open book).....under preferences ...pinpoint mode....change it to sizing... it will give you an idea of the size of your target.....
give it a try and see what it does.... it does size your target for you and is different than default of normal sizing.
Try it on a coin on top of the ground and you will see.... If you have a dollar coin...compare it to a pop can ...top...bottom...and sides.
ronaldj2 is right on also. ...good advice !

Elmy, good tip, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Ron in WV

It's not just you-- I have had clad and silver WA's ring up 12 46. Recently I had a 15 47, got the video camera out... and was rewarded with a zinc. Man, that was a letdown.

It's not just you-- I have had clad and silver WA's ring up 12 46. Recently I had a 15 47, got the video camera out... and was rewarded with a zinc. Man, that was a letdown.
It has a lot to do with noise cancel....if set at 11 it will read different than at 2 ...I use 2 a lot when looking for silver and 11 for all other hunting...11 works for silver also !
I try to run a manual 2 ....last merc I got, it noise canceled at 9 ...I changed it to 2 and got the merc solid hit from all directions at 8 inches...read co 40 to 47.
If you use the same noise cancel number ....your coins will read the same every time....unless there is trash or multiple items in the hole.
If I hunt with a partner...one is on 2 and the other is on 11.....less interference between detectors that way.

In cases like yours pay close attention to the fe number most often it is not nearly close to 12. I was hunting a site with my Nox recently and i kept getting solid 25-27's and every time i was digging up what i think to be piston head parts. I put my nox up and decided to try my etrac. Right off the bat i got a very solid 46,47 co number and after digging a couple more piston head fragments i picked up that the fe number was almost always 8 or 9 and then i never dug another at that site.

In cases like yours pay close attention to the fe number most often it is not nearly close to 12. I was hunting a site with my Nox recently and i kept getting solid 25-27's and every time i was digging up what i think to be piston head parts. I put my nox up and decided to try my etrac. Right off the bat i got a very solid 46,47 co number and after digging a couple more piston head fragments i picked up that the fe number was almost always 8 or 9 and then i never dug another at that site.

This is the last great “art” to be learned while detecting on public ground...HOW does a person give themselves the best chance of digging a COIN while hunting in HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE trash? Compared to this prospect, hunting in iron and nails is child’s play, really. I have a fairground with an area that has old coins going back to the 1870’s, I have found a few. It also has all kinds of very short pieces of copper piping, car parts from demo derbys and melted aluminum globs of who knows what....perhaps melted car parts when the demo cars start on fire. Regardless, I now have a LOT of “coin type” targets, and without the advantage of the FECO readout and pinpoint sizing on my eTrac and CTX...I’m sunk. NO other machine has the ability to give the operator these two critical pieces of information. Having the FE reading to use in conjunction with PP sizing and the coil lift test is as close to being able to viably hunt these areas as I’ve ever had. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do otherwise without digging every target that is similar sounding to a coin.
Great insight Trashfinder!

I found 10 clad quarters-- they ranged from 1 31 to 12 46. I really miss out enjoying digging up some silver because I always assume it is clad or possibly a zinc.

Dug up a walking lib half yesterday-- 1 31. It was next to what looked like the top of a shock absorber. The noise made me dig, but I wasn't really paying attention, as that silver warble has fooled my old man hearing too many times in the past.

My first silver half and I wasn't even paying much attention as I dug.

No expert with the etrac, just following Andy and cutaplug rec's. Usually run conductive now with FE blocked at 23, unless really trashy, I'll switch between 2/4 tone Ferrous.

On yesterday's hunt--got a wailing 12 48 signal: 9 clad quarters in the same hole.

A short while later, got a 17 47 signal-- a clad dime just below the sod.

My etrac is such a tease. Whenever I hear that silver tone, I often say to myself, "I ain't kickin' that ball, Lucy".

On yesterday's hunt--got a wailing 12 48 signal: 9 clad quarters in the same hole.

A short while later, got a 17 47 signal-- a clad dime just below the sod.

My etrac is such a tease. Whenever I hear that silver tone, I often say to myself, "I ain't kickin' that ball, Lucy".
that 17-47 is a classic silver dime signal....the only thing you missed was a depth test....if it ain't over 5 inches deep, I ain't digging it !

Going with Elmy, the depth is another level of disc. My brother and I have been using the depth for several years now and it just gives another level of testing each target to dig or not to dig.

Ron in WV

yes , the depth meter is a great tool.... example...if you hit a screaming target and dig..out comes a nickel...you say how did that happen....there may be friends that the nickel has with it in the hole...only the nickel was on top of the other coin dragging down the targets id. Always check the the depth of your target....and recheck the hole before you go on detecting....I don't know how many times I have hit a deep silver in a hole that someone else has dug.It tells you right off the bat how deep to dig in the first place...if your meter says 6 inches and you get a target at 4 inches...keep digging !

I hear your words, but there was nothing left in the hole.

No big deal-- money is money. Where I'm hunting, the dirt has been moved around alot... I've found silver at 3" and 14", and jewelry can be found too. I'd be passing up alot of rings if I focused on deeper targets exclusively.

It could be that old man hearing isn't letting me hear the nuances in tone the etrac offers.

thx

Last edited:
I hear your words, but there was nothing left in the hole.

No big deal-- money is money. Where I'm hunting, the dirt has been moved around alot... I've found silver at 3" and 14", and jewelry can be found too. I'd be passing up alot of rings if I focused on deeper targets exclusively.

It could be that old man hearing isn't letting me hear the nuances in tone the etrac offers.

thx
Sorry...I thought in your previous posts you were complaining about not finding silver....the etrac is known for silver but not so much on jewelry, some but other detectors are better for rings. HH

Thanks Elmy, What detectors would those be, if you don't mind the question... Silver isn't always easy to find, in my corner of the world. Jewelry however gets replenished.

the etrac runs low khz...... 1.5 to 3k....... great for high conductors......a higher frequency detector anywhere from 15khz up would be much better for gold rings....as far as brands....try to google it...
I have no idea as I have no interest in the jewelry part of detecting....when someone asks me to find a lost ring for them, I have to make a lot of different patterns ..one for small 10k...one for 14k mens or womens...it is really a hassle and I avoid most hunts for them as there is just too much trash that hits in the ring area. The best ring range on an etrac is 9 to 12 fe and a co of 6 to 30 with a manual noise cancel of 11.
Can't help anymore than that

Just checking in...but will add, I've dug women's rings with a CO = 31.

yes...me too, but the BEST RANGE to find rings what I gave out....These over 30 are usually heavier...bigger rings....if not I may be wrong on the higher most found ring settings.
Thanks for adding that MONKEYS UNCLE.....nothing is set in stone for gold rings...too many alloys involved.