Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil comparison

JodyRebel

Could I get some ideas concerning preferences over the Minelab 17" coil and the Coilteck 14X9. My main desire is depth. Thanks, JodyReb...

I saw little to no difference in depth when comparing the 14x9 to the 11" stock coil in my area. The 17" gives some depth advantage over the 11" stock coil. Ergo, if depth was my main concern, I would go with the 17."

Just the view from my foxhole...

I have also heard (don't know, because I don't have one) that the 14x9 is heavier than the 17". This might be good, says some surf hunters, as the coil apparently "sinks," which is "good" in the water I'm told, but, it may NOT be good if you are trying to land hunt with it. The 17" is already heavy enough, so if the 14x9 is not a substantial improvement in depth for you, the 17" is probably a better bet (assuming the 14x9 is indeed heavier).

Steve

I appreciate the comments. I ordered the 17 today. I've pounded a spot for 20 years and last year, by hunting in manual 11, I was able to pull another 30 silvers that were quite hunting the previous year on auto. I'm just hoping to pull a few more out before the poison oak and ivy enter the picture in the spring. Thanks again. JodyReb...

Let me know what you think im on the fence about getting one. HH

More depth with the 17".
14 x 9 Coiltek is about 6 ounces heavier than the 17", wish I hadn't sold the 17".

Cliff

I’ve got a 17 and use it more than the other two coils.
I can cover more ground faster .
I recall finding a large copper button about 15 to 16” down , so they go deep.
They can be more of a challenge to pinpoint with. I like the wiggle back method .
BT

Ben Town said:
I’ve got a 17 and use it more than the other two coils.
I can cover more ground faster .
I recall finding a large copper button about 15 to 16” down , so they go deep.
They can be more of a challenge to pinpoint with. I like the wiggle back method .
BT

Agreed on all points. For me and how I hunt,the 17” coil is exactly what’s needed. The most fabulous coil I’ve ever used on anything,because it finds deep high conductors very well.

JR,
Here's a link to a review I posted here about 6 months ago on the big Coiltek.
https://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2373632,2373632#msg-2373632

To summarize, it didn't get anywhere near the depth of even the stock 11"...
To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

The ML 17" 'football' coil is an excellent choice for some added depth, and isn't nearly as helpless in high trash (or as hard to pinpoint with) as most think.

(Free old-timers tip: To make the added weight of the 17 have less leverage on your arm/shoulder, don't extend/lock your shaft all the way out...
Instead, shorten it up until the coil just barely misses your feet, and the detector hangs from your arm/shoulder. That way you're not constantly holding up the whole detector with your bicep all day.)
HH,
:)
mike

I finally got my Minelab 17" coil. I couldn't wait to get back to my spot I bought the coil specifically for. Sure enough, the first time out with it, I got an 1899 V nickel and about 10 shotgun shell casings I've passed over for months. Yes, the feel is somewhat heavier over the stock coil but I was surprised that I didn't feel that much weight. I hunted several hours before I called it quits that day. At this spot, I dig every signal because of the era the site was used in and the fact that everyone only knows it to be a pasture with a pool on it. :)