Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Conundrum

chipper97

I know this question has been asked a thousand times and I've read quite a few of the answers. But I thought I'd ask it one more time for a little more clarification. I've got some sites with low to moderate trash that aren't producing silver and older coins like they used to. Understandable, they've been hunted to exhaustion of targets. But I'm wondering, hoping maybe a larger coil might reach down just that extra inch or so to bring the sites back to life. Therefore the question is for my Explorer SE Pro does anyone have a coil they would try under these circumstances? I have the Pro coil and the SEF 10 x12 dd coil. They get deep. But can I get coin sized objects any deeper and what coil would best accomplish that? Thanks for any advice.

I can't think of anything to try besides taking a crack at some of the signals you think are NOT coins...you know...within reason. A 00/00 at 2" isn't going to be a coin,but you know what I mean. You're already pretty much running wide open with everything? Sorry,just typing out loud...I haven't used anything larger than the 1050 on the Explorer2 so I don't know how well huge coils hit small coins for sure,some will say "yes" while others don't think so. There's an aftermarket concentric 25" coil for the Whites machines,maybe you could borrow one of those? Just kiddin'...good luck!
Kevin

you can also try hunting when the ground is moist. if your ground freezes try in the spring after it thaws out. also dig all trash that could be masking deeper targets. the only thing that really helps in a heavily hunted area is if the remove some soil. good luck

Well IDX actually I haven't tried running wide open. I've thought about giving it a shot. But when I first started using the Explorer I read up on different programs that the "experts" used (pretty clever,huh?)and truly these guys know the Explorer inside and out. One of them was Bryce Brown. I was impressed with his thoughts behind the program he used so I dialed all his numbers into my Explorer and off I went. I've been using the Explorer Se Pro now for about a year and 1/2 and feel like I've done pretty well. I do dig iffy signals, circle the target to try and decipher whether it's a rusty nail or a coin, etc. (Oh, I've gathered you use the digital display and of course I use the Smart screen). I'm trying to rely more on sound, the tones and all. That is coming to me slowly. I still like to have ID confirmation. But like I said I do dig iffy signals, more and more as I've matured with the Explorer. I've been fortunate enough to dig 125 silver coins so far and I've worked in some fairly trashy spots and pulled coins out of areas that I'm pretty sure have been left for dead. I really do need to try some different approaches though. I know that using as little discrimination as possible and hiking the sensitivity up as high as possible on manual would yield more depth from what I understand. What that means is of course uh, hard work! Wading through the tumult of signals and tones and learning to catch the illusive silver warble amidst it all. I've sort of been working up to that. Still, the quest for the ideal coil for depth remains a lure for me. But maybe I need to stretch the Explorer's wings and let it loose with wide open disc. and working the sensitivity up. I think you're right, I should try that first and see where it takes me. Perhaps to the depths I seek!

Chuck, yes you're right I've found targets much more responsive when the soil is moist. Not to mention the digging is easier! I have done exactly what you mention but probably not as often as I could. I've been over targets that I got hints were masking another target, like a mashed soda can reaching out and disguising a sizeable area, but say with the 6 x 8 sef I can barely detect a possible second target. I dig the trash out and sometimes that's it but others have proven to have been masking a coin. I've got areas like that that I know I just need to go in and be meticulous about checking anything even slightly questionable. Thanks for reminding me, sometimes you just need to work a little harder.